I debated for quite a while over how to do the armor since this is only the second time I've made solid pieces. After some helpful advice from people in the forums I ended up with my own bastardized version due to difficulty with finding powdered filler. My pieces have a base of wire and masking tape, a second layer of paper mache applied with a mix of water, pva and pre-mixed filler and a third layer of pva mixed with pre-mixed filler. Then they are sanded, have a final coating of filler and then another sanding to smooth it over! I think if I'd had more time and more filler I would have added another layer as the surface is still not as smooth as I'd like but I didn't and so this will have to do!
Now I'm in the midst of painting with some silver paint I found in a pound shop. Unfortunately it appear to be metal paint and rather toxic smelling! It also says on the pot it takes an hour to dry and is still tacky after being out over night which is a bit worrying as I still want to put a coat of varnish over the top of this before I start fixing attachments.
After all this I still need to finish the collar, the swords and the shirt, and make the cloak! Hope I can get it all done in time!