Zaiburst avatar

Zaiburst
Progress

Last online 4 years ago

London

Joined: 31st Oct 2008

Completed costumes: 7

Photos uploaded: 43

Progress journals: 8

Events attended: 6

http://www.unisunmusic.com

I wore this costume again for ayacon. I performed some music in it as well (guitar with my friend masa-kun).
I was running out of black tape this time so the wrist parts are not as long as they should be, also didnt have time to fix the 3 buttons to his fly. I went without the trenchcoat this time, and I have to say I was freezing sunday night, but was fun anyway. I'll pop some photos on here soon.

I wore this costume again for ayacon. Made quite a few modifications for it:

1) The torso part is now pleather with a new bodysuit underneath,
2) pendant is different, I now wear the long riding boots with it,
3) i've included the belt section of the costume which is made from moulded and latex painted plastazote,
4) Lefthand is completely redone, much greater likeness to the actual character now
5) sword has been reshaped and symbol on the hilt has added (plaster sculpture).
it's shorter than what D's sword should be (because it snapped back in expo), but it looks better in the scabbard.

This one actually took a lot more effort to do than i envisioned, as I was only 'updating' an old cosplay. How wrong I was. I lost one of my shoulder pieces in the ayacon disco; so if I ever wear this again (unlikely) I would need to remake those.

I wore this cosplay again for ayacon. Made some improvements to the sword, it's now the awakened version (well it has an open crossguard now, but the skull mouths remain closed).
I'll put in some photos soon.

So far, Ive only bought the wig for this cosplay (which has yet to arrive, but should look cool - image below)

Im currently deciding what colours to use. If you notice from my cartoon reference, the entire costume is one tone of colour, but if you look at the CG references, the coat is a burgundy, and the waistcoat and trousers are a lighter shade similar to red.
I think Ive decided to go for the varying colours version. It adds a bit of contrast to the costume and I think itll be better.

I will be commissioning Tab to make the trenchcoat for me (I dont have the time to make one myself in time for expo, and plus this way Im sure itll look super) and I will contruct the rest myself, including the making of the Rebellion sword out of wood. Which is something I promised myself I wouldnt do again, after the hefty task it was to make my D sword. However, this time I have power tools to help me get through that, so hopefully itll turn out OK.

Well, I decided to make the cloak myself rather than buy one. I bought some velvet-silk mix which costs twice as much as their regular velvet fabric, but I thought it looked and felt a lot better. I cut it into a semi-circle. But didn't have time to join it with the lining I made for it.

I didn't cover the hat with the stretch satin like I intended, but the judges at the masquerade said that it's better without it anyway.

Sword broke during the event, so a full repair is on the cards.

I intend to wear this costume at least one more time, for the cosplay ball.
I hope to make some improvements. Namely: Remake Lefthand, recover gauntlets with latex, try to control the hair more and tuck it into the outer collar, add lining to the cloak, and try to seal all the white paint better.

Ok, well I've done quite a bit more since my last journal post.
-Loose sword shape has been cut out of the mdf, but now needs a hell of a lot of planing and carving.
-Lefthand symbiote is finished. This was produced by first making a sculpture out of plasticine, then creating a mould out of papier mache, then filling the mould with latex, and finally painting it.
-one and a half of the other of the gauntlets has been shaped with plastazote, but not coloured/covered yet.
-I have the jewels I intend to wear.
-shoulder armor has been made, but the spikes haven't been added
-Cloak hasn't been bought yet, prices seem to rise around this time of year which is frustrating. Worst case scenario I buy some velvet fabric and produce it myself (though the lining wont be as good)

Things I still need to do: boot covers, skull badges, satin hat covering, but most of all, the sword

This was originally a woman's hat with a feather in it.
I've dented it in certain places to shape it away from the original bowler hat style, ironed the brim down, and I think it looks pretty decent now, although I'm not sure if I want the brim to be wider. If so, I'll just attach a plastazote brim.
I'm still going to to have to glue the gold disc on it.

The wig I'm wearing isn't the one I'll be wearing (this is just my crow one). Also the coat I'm wearing isn't what I'll be wearing as D either (It's actually probably going to be for my Neo coat).

I decided to make my Vampire Hunter D sword out of wood. MDF to be precise.
I went to homebase and picked up an 'off cut' for a fiver that's the same height as me, and it's wide enough for me to be able to put a curve in the blade.

I also bought a saw, sandpaper and metalic silver paint. I wanted to buy a chizzel, but they didn't have any curved ones for carving. I'm going to have find one.

I've never sculpted/carved wood before, so this will probably be quite a feat.


This user has not been active recently.