Acanatane avatar

Acanatane
Progress

Last online 7 years ago

Aberdeen, Scotland

Joined: 8th Aug 2010

Completed costumes: 3

Photos uploaded: 10

Progress journals: 9

Events attended: 3

No social links provided

So my first attempt at daggers looked good, but the cardboard base I used wasnt strong enough to support the clay, so I am remaking them; using wood as a base. So far - sooooo much sawdust @.< , but after all afternoon, i now have the basic shape and just needs lots of sanding now, then the clay etc, same as last time.


Ive made some small progress on Shar too. I WILL have props for the second time I wear this (two weeks, ahh!)

So the main part of the dress is all but done now, just have to sew on the hood and bottom sleeves (although im thinking of getting a different fabric for them) and then the embroidery bits, and tidy up the corseting that I've left for the moment. the corseted part has taken me two whole days to sew on - I'm knackered! all the loops and the cord itself are made from cotton piping cord.

I finallllllly have fabric for the dress! >.< and my mock is finished, so watch this space!

I started making the first of the two daggers Im planning for this. Its a cardboard base, with air drying clay over it. Pic is of my first attempt, before Ive dried it (its not as rough as it looks, my camera is crap!) Plan is then to sand and paint it, add leather for the handle, and then weather it...and also the whole lot for the second matching one!

So decided I needed to do Shar along with this dress, to give me some props, lol. Started making the bottle/container. I shaped a really thin layer of polymorph over an egg, and then the top of a neck of a plastic bottle. After it set I then scooped the egg out and dissolved the shell with vinegar, so all that was left (see picture) was the polymorph attached to the bottle neck. The plan is to use a blue LED light inside the bottle to make 'Shar' (see main reference pick if you like), and then mould the rest of the bottle out of clay/something around what I have just now.

Photo: top - work in progress, bottom - ref pic.

So whilst I was in London recently me and Nomes spent an afternoon fabric hunting - to little avail, although I did find the type of material I think would work best...although I have no idea what it's called which might make looking for it on the internet fun! I've also started work on the mock up for this (to get the shape etc right for the hood/sleeves etc) - making this just out of white cotton (as I got a heap of it for ridiculously cheap, so I have plenty going spare). Hopefully have that finished by this weekend, and then I can work out the problems with it (and I'm sure there will be many knowing my luck) and then I can start work on the proper version once I source some fabric!

So for the past few months since I really started on this idea, Ive mostly been sketching out plans and playing around with armour making techniques. I currently have about 7 or 8 half made pieces of gauntlet lying around my room from testing out various things (along with a rather creepy looking multicoloured craft foam mock for the helmet shape). I do have to say - polymorph may be my new favorite substance in the world right now....although I'm sure I'll learn to hate it with time! Hopefully start working on the first proper piece now I have some of the kinks worked out for the various things I'm going to do.

So today I found a whole heap of material I could use to make a mock up/pattern for the dress, for really cheap! Now I just need to decide which pattern I'm vaguely going to use.

I've decided I'm going to try and use this section as I havent really before, so bear with me.

So just starting this one off - just drawn some little scribbles that probably make sense only to me, and started looking around for some patterns I can modify.


This user has not been active recently.