15th June 2014: Busy busy bee Got a lot done for this in the past week!
The cloak is all done, I just cut a basic hood and cloak out of cotton and sewed them together before making the front ties seperately and attaching them (easiest way to do it!)
The bag/belt ensemble was also pretty simple. I made the bag from the same pattern as my Meruru pouch, just making it deeper. Fabric wise I used brown pleather, with white vinyl as interfacing and floral cotton as lining. The belts are just strips of brown pleather. The ends for one belt are sculpted from Milliput. It all fastens around the back of my left hip with poppers c:
Aaaand my wig arrived this morning! It's a bit lighter than on the site, but it'll do c:
6th June 2014: Dress finished For the bodice I used Butterick Pattern B5322, as it had a right-over-left wrap dress, which is exactly what I needed. The skirt is just a biiig doubled-up rectangle of fabric, which I tucked at the waist to make it fit. You can’t see it in the photo, but it’s a wrap-around skirt. I really should have taken the photo a bit earlier in the day! I used bias binding for the patterns around the skirt, and used three strands of embroidery thread for the fine line. The diamonds are also bias.
THE SLEEVES OH GOD. I used Simplicity pattern 1728 as a base, but folded it in to make the sleeves shorter and a bit less voluminous (the pattern is based on the dresses in Mirror Mirror, to give some impression of how huge those sleeves are)! I then cut short slits in the bottom of the sleeves and roll-hemmed them, before cutting and hemming the longer slits at the top (Espella’s sleeves cut out at the shoulders and fall down to expose her upper arm wat). My original plan was to use the top of the sleeves to make the shoulder ties, but there wasn’t enough fabric in them to floop appropriately. So my earlier idea to make them shorter was a dud haha!
I then stitched a strip of fabric inside the sleeves just above the slits to form a channel, through which I threaded elastic. I had wanted to make the sleeves a drawstring because of the bow, but that didn’t work too well thanks to how the pattern worked, so I just threaded leather cord through two teeny slits above the slit and tied it into bows. Next, I sewed up the seams and fitted the sleeves to the armholes, and finished up by making shoulder ties out of spare fabric.
I'm so freaking proud, especially as I winged the sleeves a lot while being struck down with a hell of a cold!
3rd June 2014: Dress Dress progress is going super fast! The bodice is all done, and I'm currently doing all the detail on the skirt.
I've used linen as it's lightweight, natural and will be super comfy for the summer heat but dear god I need to iron it soooo bad!
Pics will come once the skirt and bodice are attached. And once I've dried my tears over the darn sleeves (HOW)
Cosplay Island is a news, portfolio and resource site for UK cosplayers. Join for free today, create your cosplay profile and share your photos with other cosplayers, or browse thousands of costumes by our members. Stay updated with all the latest news from the costuming world and cosplay events.