22nd August 2014: Corset/embroidery 1 Slow progress is slow! I'm really happy with how it's turning out though, so it's worth taking it slow c:
The corset is made from velvet, and lined with plain lining fabric. I combined two patterns to get the shape and length I wanted: Simplicity 1910 and 2757. I haven't added the boning or lacing yet, as I want to see how it looks without first.
THE EMBROIDERY oh god send help. I started out by drawing around the front of the bodice on paper, and then sketching out the pattern so it would be to scale. I then traced all the designs (in the right colours) onto pieces of fabric stabiliser and tacked the main piece onto the bodice.
Fun and essential tip: YOU CAN'T USE A HOOP ON VELVET! It crushed the pile, causing irreversible and ugly 'hoop burn'. So I hooped a piece of tear-away stabiliser and tacked the bodice onto that. This way I could keep the velvet taut without the dreaded hoop burn! It's a lot more extra work to keep hooping, tacking and removing the stabiliser, but I think it'll be worth it.
Fabric stabiliser is amazing. The stuff I bought just tears away once I've completed a section (I took out a piece to show this) with a bit of careful force. I'm going to look into cheap alternatives in the future, but for this project, I'm sticking to what I know will work!