Edward Elric
Fullmetal Alchemist

Cosplayer: Mad Hamster

Status: Complete

Condition: Not Set

This costume has not been worn at any events yet.

11th December 2014: Why I make a dummy version first I want to be able to move a bit further along on this cosplay, but I figured that if I really want to improve the quality then I should do a dummy version with some scrap pieces of fabric... and it turned out to be a good call because I made so many mistakes that I'm sure that eurocosplay judges would be able to spot them out a mile away.
For starters, sewing the fabric the wrong way up when using a double needle is NOT a good idea, make sure you sew your fabric the correct way up -_-.
Next make sure that you sew shirt edges as smoothly as possible, the edges around the arm holes and neck are a bit crinkled and don't look very professional, if you have to, bashe it, press it then sew it properly, might give that a go :).
Also and probably more importantly, when doing things like French seams... do them properly, check to make sure that there aren't any fraying bits poking out and pin them properly and for the love of the earth REMEMBER TO PRESS!!!!

8th December 2014: Boxers DONE! Well the boxers are done! Everything is all sewn up, tidied up and looking awesome... or at least as awesome as I can get it.
The boxers are elasticated, the elastic was threaded through using safety clips pinned on the elastic and then pulling them through, the elastic was then sewn together and finally the elastic was sealed in.
I just need to add poppers on the front and then I'm DONE done.
The next plan is to make a test pair of trousers (to get used to the material) and then make some automail and wepaons :)

8th December 2014: Boxers WIP 2 Sewing was fun, thankfully I got a brand new sewing machine making it a lot easier to work with compared to my old machine.
Most of the underwear was sewn to make a French seam, it gives a much nicer finish over a zig-zag and straight stitch that I used to use on my older outfits. It can be a bit confusing trying to figure out which is the right and wrong sides of the cotton but I got there in the end :).
The leg holes (forgive my terminology if it's wrong) were sewn with a over-locking straight stitch with a double needle (I LOVE MY NEW MACHINE!!!)

8th December 2014: Boxers WIP 1 Starting to work on Ed, and I thought 'what the hell, why not make some underwear' especially since in his official reference pictures he's shown with his underwear which are baby blue boxers (thank goodness I don't dare think what the judges would think if they turned out to be y-fronts)
I bought the pattern from my local fabric store and transferred the pattern to greaseproof paper, that way I have a master copy of the patterns and if the others get damaged or lost I can make new ones.
The material is 100% cotton fabric which makes it easy to breathe and easier to work with, it's also lighter than most cottons that I've worked with which is nice.