8th September 2013: Skirt After a lot of trial, error, pinning and screaming, I have finally managed to get a skirt I'm happy with!
I started off by cutting the waistband and then making and attaching the pleated section as I normally would for a skirt, but not to the full measurement I usually do it to.
I then made the side panel and pinned the 'front' of it to the 'front' of the pleat skirt. I then pinned the zip to the 'back' of the panel.
This is where it got tricky and awkward. I put the skirt on, and pinned the rest of the zip to the other end of the pleat skirt to fit my waist. Once I was happy with the fit, I took the skirt off and pinned the rest of the panel to the rest of the pleat skirt (the length not attached to zip) before putting on again for further fitting.
What a kurfuffle!
All I need to do now is sew it properly together and attach the buttons, pocket and the band around the waist. Oh and secure the pleats. They're sitting well enough but they'll look sharper and better if I secure them c:
EDIT 12/9: All the details added now! Hopefully will get a progress pic tomorrow if the lighting's good!
EDIT: 11/10 ARG MY SKIRT IS WRONG. THIS IS THE ISSUE WITH NOT WAITING FOR A TURNAROUND REF. In all honesty, the 'wrong' side is mostly hidden by my bag and I can add some more buttons to the waistband, but it's just frustrating.
Skirt is now fixed. I took in the left side panel a little, moving the buttons and adjusting the zip, and then made a side panel for the right side. I sewed the pleats together on the right side so I just just put the panel on over the top. It's not completely perfect and it's a pretty rushed job but at least it looks right now!