26th August 2009: Psyphers 11 Shiny! But overall, the results are far from perfect. There’s a black spot where the lights themselves are, although that doesn’t usually show up in photos. The joins in the plastic are not very neat or strong. Being unable to use anything opaque inside, and having to ensure the crystals can open and close for me to access the lights limits a lot of what I can do about it though.
On the other hand, it was all comfortably within my ability - I didn’t need diverse tools to deal with a thick plastic, or have to learn about wiring up electronics for the lights. It was also cheap. The plastic was 35p a sheet, the lights were 50p each and I already had the other materials I used. Can’t really complain if it’s not perfect when it was ridiculously cheap and simple. At least when it’s dark, you can’t see any of the rubbish bits, and the glowiness is sufficiently distracting!
That said, these psyphers aren’t going to last well. I’d like to get more suitable lights, so I can have a switch to turn them on and off, which would then mean the crystals don’t need to open up, and I think that would improve things a bit, but problems like joining the plastic remain, so a re-think with new materials might be for the best.