3rd May 2012: boots after black shoe dye Boots after shoe dye. Nice and black. I am really pleased how they turned out. I did buy two packs of shoe dye as I thought one might not be enough since these boots are thigh length and the packaging says will cover a pair of shoes or small boots. But one pack was actually enough. The dye even dyed things like the zipper and elastic. Superb.
Method - I first cleaned off any polish from the grey boots by rubbing down with kitchen paper soked in gentle nail polish remover. Then as per the instructions I used the supplied abrasive sponge with warm water and lightly scrubbed all over. Left to dry. Then I decanted the shoe dye out of its plastic bottle into a glass jar so I could see how much was being used up, and because the plastic bottle looked like it could easliy tip over. The supplied application brush looked rough and stiff so I used one of my art brushes instead. The dye washed out of the brush with water. I def recommend this Dylon shoe dye, certainly changing to black worked fine.
If you are wondering what is stuffed inside the boots for the photo - I made myself these boot fillers a while back, they are usefull if you are trying to paint or dye long boots, they stop them from collapsing. Also can paint all over the boots without handling them - just hold them by the boot fillers. Made from long cardboard tube - empty wrapping paper tube - built out with scrunched newspaper and then wrapped in a layer of wall paper.