18th November 2011: Supplies I have been sourcing all of the supplies I need to make this costume. I decided as soon as I chose to make it that it was going to end up being expensive because it's so lush, but I've actually managed to find a couple of bargains that have dropped the price a little.
First of all, the fabrics. I bought no less than 26m of fabric. This has shocked many, but there's reasoning behind it!
4m of black cotton velvet for the coat and trousers. I would have preferred something with a touch of stretch as the trousers are drainpipe style and very tight. Unfortunately, the only fabric I found that I liked, a stretch moleskin that was incredibly soft, only had 2m left on the roll - not nearly enough and I didn't want to use different fabrics for each. So I will just have to make do. I chose cotton velvet as it has the plush texture without being too deep a pile to applique on, and it also doesn't fray like a motherbitch the way silk velvet does. I also wanted something more matt than silk velvet. Velveteen was not an option as I absolutely, utterly hate the way it feels, and have also found that it gums up sewing machine needles.
20m white crepe for the ruffles. I'm aware that this is a vast amount - even the guy in the shop raised his eyebrows - but there's a few reasons behind it. There's a LOT of ruffles on this costume - many layers in the skirt, as well as more ruffles in the sleeves and neck. I have never really done ruffles before so whilst I'm aware that they use a lot of fabric, I don't know precisely how much, and wanted to make absolutely sure I had enough. Since I bought so much, the price was discounted from £2.75p/m to £2.50p/m, meaning that I'm not too bothered about wastage, and I can always use whatever's left over on future projects or as mockup fabric. It's versatile especially as it's white :)
2m bronze coloured satin for the trims and applique. I'll probably need more of it though, but I remember which shop it's from. I'll be making my own bias binding since I want to make sure it all matches exactly. This was very cheap - £2p/m. However it doesn't have quite the obscene shininess of acetate satin, and has quite a nice silky feel. Since it's just for trim and detail, I thought I could get away with satin, and it will also be a nice textural contrast to the velvet.
The image is of the buttons I've ordered. I did a quick count up and from the buttons that are visible, as well as having enough to detail the back so it doesn't look plain in comparison, I'll need quite a lot, so I've bought 250. They're pretty so any spares can be used on other projects.
I've also bought some bronze-coloured freshwater pearls that will end up somewhere on the costume, because I love me some beads and they will add to the lushness and beauty of the costume.
I'm not including the costs of the bias makers in the total as they'll be used for many other projects.
The next step will be to sketch out exactly how I think it all goes together. I'm currently pondering whether to attach the ruffles directly to the coat or to have them on a kind of half-skirted dress worn beneath the coat.