26th October 2010: Sorry dude... I *should* be rewearing this for October Expo this weekend. I was meant to finish up all of the little bits I hadn't managed to do, but I've been really unbelievably lazy and haven't >_< Which is awful of me.
However, I've managed a couple of improvements. I've glossed the armour with PVA to make it a bit more metally-looking. I deliberately didn't seal the PVA before painting as I wanted it to look like worn, beaten metal rather than shiny and new, and painting unsealed gave that effect, but I didn't have time to coat it so the paint started to rub off. It won't do that now, plus it looks better in general. The PVA acted strangely on the paint though, so it's taken a couple of coats to look smooth. I've also used old socks (never throw socks away! They make wonderful bases for sleeves and gloves!) to improve how the arm pieces are kept on, which will be much easier and more comfortable to wear.
I've also done a little bit more of the bottom detailing on the coat, though only on the front panels at the moment.
I really need to make the calf coverings before I even think about wearing it again, so I'm hoping I can get those done in the evenings this week! I'm also going to put at least some of the studs on the vest and armour because it's so easy to do - I just need to pick up the spare Puma twin studs from Amy-Lou.
So sorry Xiahou... I am not doing you justice. I will finish you properly, maybe for Auchinawa!
17th May 2009: Progress... but is it enough? I've resigned myself to not having this perfect by Expo, but I think I will at least have it finished. I've made a muscle vest, and largely what remains to be done is sewing the bias binding and then smaller details like the belt. We'll see if there's time to do the boot detail - if not, I'll just wear knee boots and have done with.
The main problem is likely to be the applique of the gold designs on the coat. As you can see, they're a bit complicated (they should be smaller, but it was hard enough cutting them out this size, the level of detail required for accuracy would have drive me crazy) and it'll take ages. They're Bondawebbed on, so I can probably get away without it if I absolutely have to, but I'll try and get it done.
11th May 2009: Ferns I have properly started now. The coat has been patterned, cut and partially sewn, so I spent much of Sunday cutting out the golden "fern" designs for the front and back of the coat. I've done all but one, but since each one took a good half hour to cut out due to being detailed, and there's a total of 6, I now have a pathological hatred of fern designs. I am dreading appliquéing the things onto the coat. I'm also disappointed by how little Bondaweb you actually get within each pack - I was expecting a metre square, but it's actually a long strip.
Armour is also cut out, just needs to be painted, detailed and shaped. Wig has been cut, eyepatch has been made.
27th April 2009: FAIL I was supposed to start making this this weekend. I really, really didn't :(
Still, I did manage to sketch everything out so I don't need to keep referring back to the ref. images on my laptop. I've also drawn out the detail work, which is quite possibly going to kill me, although thankfully there's a lot of repetition, so I can use the first pieces as a basis for the rest.
If I wasn't so utterly gay for this coat I'd think about leaving it, but... I have to have it.
sjbonnar - 11th January 2009
This is the one I was gonna do originally ^_^ His design is awesome!
Sephirayne - 2nd March 2009
Awesome. Love the cosplay. Can't wait to see it.
Cosplay Island is a news, portfolio and resource site for UK cosplayers. Join for free today, create your cosplay profile and share your photos with other cosplayers, or browse thousands of costumes by our members. Stay updated with all the latest news from the costuming world and cosplay events.