Body cast - Low budget
Original

Cosplayer: Ranma1-2

Variant: Self

Status: In Progress

Condition: Not Set

This costume has not been worn at any events yet.

5th May 2013: after first application Working from feet first I managed to cover most of my body. The seperation join lines between front and back were achieved by first taping a thin cardboard flange around my legs and body. This made seperation easy between front and back halfs when it had set. Whilst the mould was on my body it looked all one piece. But when I started getting out of the mould it started to break apart at weak spots. I guess the plaster bandage layers needed to be thicker - I had only used like two layers of bandage.
Photo shows my body mould parts layed out face down on the floor. Left pic shows the inside detail of the front half and right pic shows the outside of the back half lying on top.
Although my feeble mould has broken into large pieces I feel all is not lost. I aim to mix up some more plaster of paris and plaster bandages and piece it all back together on my body again so that it can all be strengthened and form one complete front piece and one complete back piece.

5th May 2013: plaster bandage method My first attempt to produce a body double involved the Duct Tape Dummy method. Results were very poor, so I abandoned this direction.

Instead I am going to try making a Plaster Bandage Body Mould. And then if this succeds I will make my body cast using the plaster bandage mould. First step buy loads of plaster bandage...


Adamoluna avatar

Adamoluna - 16th December 2010
ooh, so excited for this! ^^
I will do lots of research in the holidays and update Keri's journal with whatever method/materials I'm gonna try to use for mine, it will be interesting to see how they turn out! :D

k4tt avatar

k4tt - 16th December 2010
ooooo, nice one. looking forward to seeing how you get on with this. I may make one some time next summer

Ranma1-2 avatar

Ranma1-2 - 17th December 2010
Yep it will be very interesting. :)
First thing I realise is that I will need help to do most of the back mould. I have asked - conscripted - my wife ^^ So its game on!

Wyrdsister avatar

Wyrdsister - 17th December 2010
That should be good, I have done head casts before, but never a body cast. I look forward to seeing this

Ranma1-2 avatar

Ranma1-2 - 17th December 2010
Steph, its all experimental! :P But in principle Im hoping it will go very similar to the head cast. Seperation point and flange will run along the same side seam positions as a cloth garment ie under arm down sides, neck to shoulder, and across crotch seam.

So, The plan is to make a start on the front mould first and see how much I can get done on my own. Im imagining something like a huge breastplate which I can just slip into and out of so the back can be worked on at a completely different time.

FairyPorchQueen avatar

FairyPorchQueen - 17th December 2010
cant wait to see this either after admiring the awesome headcast! :D

BabemRoze avatar

BabemRoze - 17th December 2010
Wow! I want one O_O it's a very clever idea! Me and my friends had an idea of using paper mache since we're poor XD and then wrapping it around us but then we'd have to wait til it was dry O_o yuck. Can't wait to see how this turns out ^^

Ranma1-2 avatar

Ranma1-2 - 18th December 2010
FairyPorchQueen - I think a head cast and a body cast will be a Huge help for certain costumes..esp if like me you like to be independant of other peoples help when you are making your costumes.

BabemRoze - Yes as you say the problem with paper mache is the long drying time. So for that reason I would recommend the plaster bandages because they set in like 5 mins after you wet them. And although it will still feel wet it will be solid and wet, so you can take it off after only say 10 mins and then leave it for a day to dry out. Plaster bandages are not really expensive to buy. There are cheap non branded packs you can buy. I will put the costs up during the process so you can see exactly what I spend to make this happen.

But the paper mache idea might still have a place! When I made my breastplate for Toyah cos I used newspaper and PVA white glue - thinned with just a bit of water, instead of wallpaper paste. Wow the stuff really set fast! And quite strong too. So this could form part of the finished casting make up..stay tuned. ;)

No thanks avatar

No thanks - 26th February 2011
Ohoho! Looking foward to this! :D