1st March 2011: Belt - complete So, after much searching I concluded that I wasn't going to find anything that would work for the metal parts of the belt ends. So I made them!
I formed them out of polymorph (using hot water to melt it at first, then a heat gun to resoften when necessary) and then rub-and-buffed them. We had an antique gold around, but that came out quite coppery so I covered that with a layer of Goldfinger wax buff. Once that was dry, I sealed the shapes with a layer of modge-podge.
Given the size of those, they wouldn't fit through the belt loops, so I had to put the belt in place and fasten the belt-ends in situ; don't worry, I did check I could still get into the tunic once this was done!
With that done, I could add the ribbon. And, yeesh, what a production. I tried buying ribbon of the right shade/texture but failed to find anything. Then I tried buying some white cotton webbing (right sort of weight and texture) and dying it the right shade, that also failed (it didn't take the dye at all, despite the fabric shop peeps being pretty certain it would). Eventually I bought some fabric and made 'ribbons' by folding it in half on the wrong side, stitching along one edge, turning it the right way out, and ironing it flat. A lot of effort for two strips of ribbon, but it's the right sort of colour and weight and I CARE.
Then there are little gold fake-leather pieces sewn onto the ends, and the little emblems are painted on. And finally, the belt is done!