13th July 2010: Dress Very much in progress, but I like the petals, so thought it was time for a photo!
The dress started out as a mock-up. I began with the pattern I’d made for my Brawler costume, then cut out slightly different shapes for the petals, and continued to alter it from there. I optimistically used yellow polycotton in the hope that it could become the lining, but unfortunately, I had to make too many alterations for it to be useable. Luckily, I had enough of my final fabric to line the petals, which was all that mattered.
I don‘t quite know what the final fabric I‘m using is - I got the end of a stained bolt really cheaply years ago. I had to use an interesting cutting layout to work around the stained areas, ensuring that they were avoided, or would end up where they could be painted over at the ends of the petals!
It’s taken me a while to adjust the pattern, but when it was done, I got all my pieces cut out, overlocked, and assembled on Sunday. The overlapping piece on the right hand side of the dress is an entire second piece, just cut a little differently.
The dress looks like it should fasten at the front, but there’s so much detail there, I’ve decided to avoid that (although the seam is just pinned at the moment. The front will be sewn up though, and instead, it has an invisible zip down one side, and I’ll just have to make sure it can still fit over my head when I add the collar.
I’ve started on the bias tape, and I’m working on centre bit with black cord. Until that‘s sewn on, I can‘t finish up the bias tape though, which is why it‘s half-finished. I been thinking about the order to sew pieces together in, and when to apply the trim, so hopefully it’ll all layer together nicely and have a minimum of visible stitching.