11th August 2017: Round up of progress - July I've been working away at this costume in fits and starts so although it's relatively simple, it needs a lot of work still done before it is complete. I have finished the wig -- I boil curled the base wig and then after deciding it needed more volume, I've spliced in a second wig. It's been strategically curled too, and I think we can call it done.
The bow is all but finished - I covered the paper mache with wallpaper filler and sanded it down, covered it in a base coat of paint, varnished over that, didn't like the colour so painted over it and varnished it a second time and it looks passable. I've glued on the faux leather wraps using bag straps I've pilfered from bags I never use any more. The bow, all in all, has cost me nothing. Thumbs up.
The dress is the big issue - I have practised the sleeves and I have drawn up a successful pattern for them, but inserting the 'puffs' into the sleeves looks to be the issue I am going to have. I have added a neckline ruffle and it looks okay but it also still needs work; the neckline looks incredibly messy.
TO DO:- Add sleeves, cut the hem to length, finish neckline
I have purchased a petticoat to wear under the dress and emphasise the a-line shape, as the material is extremely heavy and 'drapey' and can be rather figure hugging -- not really what I wanted!