Emma Frost - X-men


I love the X-Men movies but ultimately had no interest in making any of the costumes; I think the spandex-tastic outfits from the comics are much more fun. Separate from that, I was determined to make a costume with a cape – it’s just so very classic superhero. I had thought about an Emma Frost costume for a while since I already had the boots and wig so throw all those ideas together and I came up with this! Bonus being it was cheap, pretty easy to make and is a fairly comfy, simple costume.

I bought 6m of white lycra (most of which was eaten up by the cape) and chose to flatline everything except the cape to ensure it would be opaque. Maybe choosing a higher quality thicker fabric might have been easier, but I don’t know that it necessarily would have been cheaper than just buying slightly more of the thin stuff I used – certainly the thinner lycra I chose is all I needed for the cape and that’s what required the most fabric.

I tested out a few ideas to see how visible the seamlines would be and what I could do to accentuate them and settled on this tutorial for making stretch piping https://www.facebook.com/notes/god-save-the-queen-fashions/cosplay-qa-61911-working-with-stretchy-fabrics/210441655659698 i.e. spray adhesive all the way! I even used piping around the hems too since I liked the effect. Because all my pieces were flatlined, I could hand sew all the hems to the lining only, so there’s a nice invisible hem with only the piping showing at the edge. Given I was going to be wearing white pvc boots, I bought a small amount of pvc fabric to use throughout the costume, so the piping and my belt buckle are all pvc.

I took an existing leggings pattern and marked where I though the centre front leg seams should go, then tested it out in a mock-up. I had to extend the width of the legs a bit so they’d smoothly fit over my knee-high boots and experiment a bit with the hems. I used broad elastic for the waistband and the belt buckle is craft foam covered in pvc, it attaches to the leggings with velcro.

I bought a cheap strapless bra and made a quick mock-up to pattern out the top - positioning the seams, getting the fit right and experimenting to decide on the shape of the hem I liked best. The final top is hand sewn to the bra.

Although the costume didn’t really call for that substantial a cape, I wanted one, so cut a full half circle. Thank god lycra doesn’t need hemmed and blessed be my rotary cutter. The cape is sewn to the top and to compensate for its weight, I also added a strap at the centre back which is hidden by the wig. The strap is sewn to both the top and the cape and then attaches to the choker so it’s helping to hold everything up securely. To ensure it would support the cape well, the choker is a length of plastic which I covered in lycra and it fastens with a strong magnetic snap at the back.

I initially bought a cheap pair of Smiffy’s gloves mostly because I wasn’t sure if I’d have the time and patience to make my own. In the end I stuck it out it in the interest of having completely matching fabric throughout the costume. I took apart the gloves to use as a pattern/lining, using each piece as flatlining for the lycra and I’m glad I persevered.

The wig is Arda’s The Dude lace front wig which I bought for another costume and am happy to get more use out of.

Sephirayne posted on 9 September, 2014 - 04:58
Love the sound of the cape and the details you put into this. Can't wait to see pics.

Amy-Lou posted on 6 October, 2014 - 16:52
Very cool! Detail in all white is a massive pain, I like the piping idea :)

Ranma1-2 posted on 6 October, 2014 - 22:53
Nice work, Angela. Especially working with lycra! ( My sewing machines hates the stuff.) So well done! :)

Sephirayne posted on 7 October, 2014 - 01:22
You look amazing. Really love how this has turned out.

Leadmill posted on 8 October, 2014 - 18:56
Looks fantastic!

Anonymous posted on 5 November, 2014 - 21:35
Fabulous. :D

International Competitions