The Penguin - Oswald Cobblepot - Batman returns


Winter London Film And Comic Con 2013

2nd Prize - Open Masqurade - London Anime Con




My favorite and best costume!

Make up:
Home made Prostetic Nose made out of Gelatine mixed with Surborol
Home made Wig made out of Latex Bald Cap and Crepe hair
Both blended with Liquid latex.

Foundation - 2 layers of Snazaroo clown white followed by two layers of Aquacolor pale foundation (colour 406)

Eye make up - Mix of 4 Aquacolor shades

Black eye contact lenses

It takes 2 1/2 hours to do the make up in the morning

Top Hat: - Antique (Belonged to my Grand Father!)
Tail Coat: - From 2nd hand store in Oxford
Waist Coat: - Home made of Polyester
Trousers : - Black bondage trousers - Own design for chains

Underclothes with shirt front - Long underwear with shirt front sewn in. Hunch back and belly made from stuffing and scrap cloth.

I have two sets of Penguin gloves, one set made of leather and one set made of leatherette


Rocket Penguin - Penguin soft toy with Meccano and Worbla. Electronics and LED's

Penguin umbrella gun - Umbrella with Meccano and Worbla. Electronics and LED's


Ranma1-2 posted on 26 May, 2014 - 10:26
This looks fantastic!

Siouxsie James posted on 26 May, 2014 - 11:42
Amazing cosplay!!! Really spot on

Kei Lin Sama posted on 26 May, 2014 - 12:31
What a great guy! I really enjoyed meeting you. I didn't realise you made your costume - it was so well made I assumed you'd bought all of it!

ArcaneArchery posted on 26 May, 2014 - 13:59
Awesome Penguin costume and the rocket penguin is great idea for a prop. It was great to see you at the DC photo shoot at the weekend too (I was the Scarecrow)

Dave The Pengin posted on 29 May, 2014 - 17:00
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Clockwork Dandy Noodles posted on 29 December, 2014 - 03:21
Penguin!!! =D hehe I've bumped into you at so many conventions this year!!! and you keep getting more and more awesome!!!

Kitri du Lac posted on 21 August, 2015 - 21:14
This is really creepy. Awesome work!

To-Do List

We're very sorry, but we've temporarily disabled this feature while we fix some bugs. Thank you for your patience.

Progress Journal

28th May 2014

A tale of two noses - Experiments with foamed latex prostetics

One of the most critical parts of my Penguin's cosplay is his massive nose.

The first versions of the costume involved store bought noses, which were pretty good but were not the right shape.

For the past few months, I have been molding my own noses to give me a nose shaped (as closely as possible) as the Penguins nose in the film. The process for making the molds was pretty interesting, especially the bit where a cast of my face was taken!

I normally make my noses out of a mixture of:
2 parts Gelatine,
2 Parts glycerine,
1 part Suborol (wine sweetener),
A tiny amount of water
Colouring to match skin tone.

This mixture has the advantage of being cheap and easy to get hold of, casts are quick to make and if the casting goes wrong you can just re-melt the mixture and try again.

This mixture is great for prototyping and makeup tests, but as it is a natural product and I've found it to be rather too unpredictable at Con's.

At a Con I can be wearing the make-up for anything up to 12 hours a day and a lot will happen in that time. If the temperature is too warm, the gelatine will "sweat" trashing the makeup and the glue holding it. If its humid, the gelatine will swell, potentially trashing the liquid latex blending.

The biggest make up disaster I've had at a con (ironically on the day of my first professional level competition!) was caused in large part because my "nose" "sweated" in the heat of the changing room totally trashing both the gelatine and the make up. In the end I had to take it off and reset it - I didn't have enough time before the judging to properly redo the make up and liquid latex blending.

I'm currently using my casts to make my first home made latex nose, the outside will be liquid latex with a core of foamed latex. The process is much slower (I estimate this will be around 3 days per nose), as I am brushing 6 thin layers on the side of the cast and leaving them to dry before filling the core with foamed latex.

The foamed latex will be formed with liquid latex, slightly stiffened by adding 1% talc, and then very gently foamed by an old "cappuccino milk frother" to get tiny bubbles. This will reduce the weight of the prosthetic but still keep it's shape

The whole thing will then be baked in an old oven (which will never be used for food again!) at 50 C for around 13 hours to cure it.

I'm certainly hoping to have a much more controllable product at the end though. With summer con's coming up, I need a nose I can rely on!

I shall keep you posted

27th May 2014

A quick recap

I've been working on this costume for a long time now, and its been a very rewarding experiance.

Back in March 2014 I was in the cosplay contest at London Super Comic Con and I put this gallery up on my Facebook page to show the work I had done.