Mia (Game) - .Hack//

In Progress



Photos

 


Information

Mia is a costume I've wanted to do for quite a while; I love creature costumes and Mia is a wonderful mix.

I am using a new technique for the head, which will be the third technique I have tried, having previously for other cosplays used foam and plastic mesh. This time I will be sculpting my own base, casting it in resin and then furring it as per usual. This technique is a little more time consuming than the others and has a few more steps but fingers crossed, it should look the best.

The reason for choosing this method is to try and keep the profile as small as possible while still incorporating lots of detail. I'm going for a semi realistic look, kind of like, what would Mia look like if she was produced with today's graphics? I don't particularly want to produce a "toony" cosplay.

I'm going to try to reduce the amount of fur I am going to use to try and keep the costume light. Where you can't see fur, there will be no fur!

Comments

No comments received.

Shopping List

We're very sorry, but we've temporarily disabled this feature while we fix some bugs. Thank you for your patience.

Progress Journal

20th August 2015

Armour Update

Collar and bracer complete.

31st July 2015

Ears on

A/A

29th July 2015

Fur on and Clipped

A/A

4th July 2015

Teeth and Mesh is in

Teeth glued and and tear duct mesh is in.

26th June 2015

Teeth and Jaw

OK - so a little update, last night I used fimo to make a line of teeth and gum to attach behind Mia's top lip.
I've used a translucent fimo for the teeth (looks great irl) and a mix of fimo pinks for the gums. The side where you see the most white will sit flush with the resin while the part with the most pink is the back.
In further progress, Seb managed to detatch the jaw yesterday, but there were alignment difficulties due to dropping the jaw. So we need to rehinge it.
Progress!

8th June 2015

Eyes Inserted

Go to the range to get 2 part epoxy putty, fimo and jewelry wire, come out with wall paint and sweets and fimo.
Go to B&Q to try and get milliput (2 part epoxy putty, they MUST have it there right?) Come out with a strimmer and rubbish epoxy putty which has urea in it.
You know when you have become an <impossible to gauge> crafter when people in craft stores / DIY stores look blankly at you when you ask for an item.
LEVEL UP.

7th June 2015

Eyes Painted

Painted two eye blanks today, I'll be fixing them in the mask tomorrow after getting some epoxy putty smile emoticon Finally progress after waiting for a new dremmel!
We'll be drilling and separating the jaw soon too smile emoticon and then FUR.

25th March 2015

Resin Cast - Success!

Well - I did the casting today! It was the first time I had slush cast anything, and I have learnt a couple of lessons today!

However, the casting was success =)

17th March 2015

Silicon and Plaster Mold Success!

Whelp.... they worked like they were supposed to!

16th March 2015

Silicon Mold & Master Mold Complete!

Today I used silicon for the first time! I won't know if it was successful until tomorrow though... I also made the master mold while I was at it out of Modrock, again, I will learn the outcome tomorrow!

Progress!

11th March 2015

Head Sculpt 5

So this is the final version before casting in silicon!
I've already applied the ridge (it's not a badly applied mane!) which acts as a barrier for the liquid silicon. I've also filled in the holes/removed overhangs. Tomorrow perhaps I'll be applying the silicon and the plaster? Who knows!?
Either way, got to wait for the damned mask... unless I can pretend to by wearing an ineffectual respirator with particle filters and leave the window open? Haha...

10th March 2015

Head Sculpt Materials Get!

Just a picture of my materials haul!

16th February 2015

Head Sculpt 4

Nearly there!

Just got to fill in gaps and smooth ready to cast!

5th February 2015

Head Sculpt 3

Sculpt is finally coming together, I anticipate in another sitting I should be at the stage where I can start getting the plaster / silicon mold in place.

As you can see the right hand side is near completion, while the left needs more work to match it.

20th January 2015

Head Sculpt 2

Further work on the sculpt.

11th January 2015

Head Sculpt 1

It's taking shape! Although making it symmetrical is quite tough!

This is the first time I've worked clay on such a large scale (just a little larger than human really!)

I'm using 'monster makers clay' on top of a manikin head which has been bulked out to my proportions. 'Monster Makers Clay' is a beautiful material to work with, although it is an expensive purchase it is well worth the investment, the beauty of it being that it is reuseable!

My only tools so far have been my digits and a shape knife.

Because I was quite unsure on exactly how to scale the mask I did concentrate on one side more than the other, resulting in now having to work on symmetry to a greater extent (because I wasn't adding/subtracting clay equally), which I guess is both a good and a bad thing - since I made quite a few extensive alterations on the right hand side (as you're looking at it) which involved moving a lot of the clay and changing eye shape/cheek shape.