19th March 2014: Ears complete Will update after Kitacon
18th March 2014: Money bag prop Will complete after Kitacon
15th February 2014: Socks and shoes I've got the socks and shoes sorted for Reese. I want to clean up the shoes with some polish before I take them to Kitacon. I had to alter the socks filly bits a bit as they weren't in great condition. Not too much work here to do.
25th January 2014: Furniture "leaf" progress I thought it'd be fun to make both me and my Cyrus props for our costumes as Animal Crossing has a lot of iconic items in it. I started off with the "leaf" which indicates the furniture in the game.
1. First I made my paper template to get a better idea of size and how it fits in my hand. It's rough 21cm in height and 15.5cm wide. Just big enough for my hand. It was hard trying to get the right scale as it alters sizes in the game. It's rough the size of me holding it in my hand.
2. I used the paper template and drew it out on funky foam.
3. I cut out two pieces of worbla slightly bigger than the leaf. I flipped it over for the other side of it.
4. Time to get the heat gun out and heat mat! I put the back piece of the worbla on first and heated it slightly so it stuck to the back of the foam.
5. Then I put the top piece on and heated it. The overflow of the worbla stuck together with the heat.
6. After heating the worbla I cut of the excess and made sure the two sides of the worbla stuck together.
7. I heated the edges to neaten them up after cutting the extra bits off. Make sure to keep any worbla you cut as you can re-heat it and mold it into one piece!
8. I used the edge of a thick ruler to create the indents on the leaf. I heated up the worbla then pressed hard into the worbla to create the "veins" in the leaf. I unfortuently did one wrong so had to fill it in the extra worlba I'd cut off and re-did it.
9. Using the cutting mat I heated the leaf on I heated both sides until warm and used the mat to curve it. That way it didn't get any fingerprints on and got a very round and natural curve.
10. After getting all the air bubbles out and fixing anything it was time to cover in PVA. I'll be doing about 5 layers for each side to make sure it's super smooth like it in the game. After all this it'll be time to paint in a base of green then use a darker green to add all the detail and make it look more 3D.
28th December 2013: Wig & make-up test! A basic wig & make-up test. I'd like to get some brown Snazaroo for the nose as using eye-liner is not the best, I also need to apply the nose a little higher on my own nose if that makes sense? Plus I need a lighter pink for the eyebrows. The wig still needs styling but I just wanted to do a wig.make-up test to see how I looked. I feel a bit more confident that I can pull off all this pink and girlyness. I may also get false eye lashes but we'll see. For now I'm happy and will try and replicate this with improvements at Kitacon.
Cosplay Island is a news, portfolio and resource site for UK cosplayers. Join for free today, create your cosplay profile and share your photos with other cosplayers, or browse thousands of costumes by our members. Stay updated with all the latest news from the costuming world and cosplay events.