18th December 2013: Crochet progress update So, I crocheted the skirt, and when it was done, it was clear that it was completely wrong. Hours of work down the drain, though thankfully not a waste of materials - I can either attempt to use it for one of the sleeves, or unravel the whole shebang and reuse the yarn.
Restarted the skirt using much smaller mesh (5 stitches per loop instead of 10) and adding in extra volume. Looks much more promising so far.
I am pretty unhappy about how quickly I'm getting through the foil thread though. Already gone through 10 rolls and there's so much more to do. I wasn't expecting one type of yarn to cost more than 1200 beetle wings!
Speaking of beetle wings... bit of a saga. I never received the first batch I ordered from eBay, and I'm still waiting for my offered refund, which I could really do with as £63 would be pretty handy around Christmas. I went to a seller on Etsy instead, and received the wings 2 weeks later. Much better! Photo does not do them any kind of justice, they are incredibly beautiful and shimmery.