Crystal-Heart Cosplay
 

Anna (Coronation Gown) - Disney's Frozen

Complete



Photos

 


Information

So my best friend Stephanie came up to me a couple months ago asking me a really huge request, she invited me to her upcoming wedding in September, but what REALLY blew me away was that she wanted me to be a Disney princess for her special day. I just kinda leapt at the chance. She originally wanted me to make Ariel in her pink ball gown to match the bridal party but unfortunately I didn't have enough pink satin from Cadence to start it, nor did I have a pattern that fit. So I was rummaging through my fabric box and found some black suiting material that I had used for a Zabuza costume that a friend commissioned me to make for him. Turned out, I had enough to cut out a bodice pattern and so the plan was set.

Anna's bodice is made of black suiting fabric that was interfaced with heavy weight craft interfacing to avoid using boning. I trimmed the bodice with a light gold bias tape then backed it with gold gimp as well as a floral Jacquard trim to give it a Nordic look. The rosemaling on the bodice was painted by hand with no stencil and bedazzled with rhinestones. I was afraid the pattern would be cut off after I sewed it on, but I made it work. The sleeves are just a hunter green satin that I pleated and trimmed with lace

The ribbon comb was just a spare hair comb I had that I hand painted gold. I glued iridescent green ribbons around the back and accessorized it with flowers and a butterfly centerpiece to give the comb an original twist. The necklace was just leftover Sculpy I had that I hand painted gold and strung it on a velvet ribbon. There's a snap closure in the back.

The skirt was tricky to figure out. I caved in and bought the Soraia Mist upholstery from Joanns and bought two colors of cotton. A Light green broadcloth and a hunter green rodeo fabric. The broadcloth I used to make an underskirt with a scalloped hem (It was my first time doing that, kinda terrifying) but it's a little bit shorter on the gown when it's on. Luckily the overskirt covers it. The overskirt has 7 panels of patterned fabric and the skirt has inverted pleats. Each panel is bedazzled with rhinestones.

I bought the hoop skirt from Ebay, I was really picky with them because I wanted to buy 1 hoop skirt for all my upcoming princess dresses. That in itself was a struggle! I ended up picking a 3 ring hoop with a slip that was just poofy enough to hold the dress up and to be able to layer my short petticoat on top for other costumes.

The shoes are just black flats that are trimmed with gold gimp and painted with rosemaling, I based them on the Disney store shoes they sell for the little girl costumes since I didn't want them to be so plain.

The wig is my winter Anna wig that I took the braids out and was styled my friend Fawn (Eyliuhs) the morning before we had to leave for the con. She was a trooper throughout the whole weekend and I'm really thankful to have a friend like her.

Comments

InfiniteJester posted on 16 June, 2014 - 08:33
This is looking great! Can't wait to see full costume pics!

Crystal-Heart Cosplay posted on 17 June, 2014 - 21:39
They will be coming soon :) Anime Expo's in a couple weeks so i'll be giving the gown a test run there :3

WhiteWraith posted on 8 July, 2014 - 06:44
This looks amazing! I love all the detail :)

PandoraCaitiff posted on 8 July, 2014 - 07:05
Wooo! Looks awesome! Great job! :D

Crystal-Heart Cosplay posted on 8 July, 2014 - 08:42
Thank you so much :D I'm so proud of this gown :) I can't wait to tackle more princesses in the future

To-Do List

We're very sorry, but we've temporarily disabled this feature while we fix some bugs. Thank you for your patience.

Progress Journal

29th May 2014

Sleeves are Attatched

They're just pinned on for now because I'm adjusting them a little more , but just the back closure to go and then the bodice will be done :)

9th May 2014

Slowly but surely coming together

I just finished adding the top trim to the gown as well as finishing the comb for my wig with all the ribbons in it :) Oh my god, I was not expecting my comb to come out this nicely. I added a butterfly and some flowers on them for originality. Plus I think the green flowers would have fit Anna a lot better as far as contrasting to Elsa XD

2nd May 2014

New Fabric

So I'm giving in to buying the Soraia Mist Upholstery fabric from Joanns because I love the texture on it much better than the fabric I originally picked. It also is a lot cheaper and I only plan on using it for the pleats :) I plan on adding rhinestones to it a little bit later on but I'll have to play around with where to put them :o

28th April 2014

Bodice almost complete

I finished adding the bottom bias tape and the bodice is completely lined. I added a fancy gold gimp trimming along the bottom to give the yellow bias a bit of a more royal touch since the yellow was waaay too light for my liking. Plus I think the gold looks really nice against it. I have to add a floral trim along the top and then add more of the gimp then turn this into a lace up bodice then I can add the sleeves to it :)

21st March 2014

Starded piecing the bodice together

So I was lucky that one of the patterns I already owned in one of my drawers already was perfect for Anna. I just have to add some interfacing and some stiffener to give it a little bit more body. Everything's just pinned in place for now.

The Center panel may be removed and redone since I painted it before I pinned it on and some of the edges may get cut off if I sew it at the allowance it's at. :/ But all the rosemaling is hand painted and it's freehanded.

14th March 2014

Fabric Preview

I found this really great printed fabric from Spoonflower made by my friend Aimee that allows me to make the box pleats in the skirt. I'm pretty stoked! It's a little bit on the expensive side but it saves me a lot of work DX