20th February 2014: Nearly there! The boots have just been given another coat of paint but I think they'll be done once they're dry!
The collar is almost done, I'm just finishing off the last segment of triangle trim, so I just need to make more bias and add ribbon.
The hearts for the crown have been cut out, and I've made templates for the flowers c:
So close now!
2nd February 2014: Top 2 2. (8/1/2014) Much experimentation and trial/error later, I have a top I can work with! Currently in the process of fitting it, but I'm quite happy with how it's turned out. It's not going to be accurate unfortunately as my figure is very different to Meruru's, but I'll do my best!
3. Much making and sewing of bias binding and I'm almost there! Trying to attach the skirt is proving to be an utter pain though! The sleeves are all done and attached with relative ease.
19th December 2013: Wig I ordered a wig about a week ago, not expecting it to arrive til 2014, but it turned up today and I love it!
It's a bit curlier than I was expecting, so I'll brush it out a bit to make it look wavy instead.
16th December 2013: Top 1. (15/12) The past few weeks have been various stages of (figurative) sobbing over the top of the dress. It started out simple enough: cover a bra in lilac satin. Simple? Ha! I ended up using two pieces for each cup, carefully smoothing, pinning and re-pinning satin until I'd created a smooth surface with the curved seam down the middle. Then I had to sew it on without my curved needle :/
Next, I did the front panel which actually was simple. I just measured the centre length of it, half the base curve of the bra, the width I wanted the bottom to be and the side length. I then cut this pattern in half, and cut two of each piece, and sewed them all together to form the seams in the ref. I stitched boning into the seams after opening them out, and then cut another piece of satin in the shape of the front panel and tacked it together to make the front panel thicker. I then pinned it to the bra (not sewn yet)
Now comes the tricky bit. Using Simplicity pattern 3629 I've started off by cutting out my lining, using 'vest back' 'vest side back' and vest side front'. With the pieces all pinned together and pinned to the bra/panel. From here, I've cut a curve from the front side piece around the bra. My next step is to sew all my lining together and see how it works...
24th November 2013: Bag! I had a lot of fun making this!
I used the pink satin/velvet that I have for the cape and crown, though as this wasn't sturdy enough, I doubled it with white pleather. The lining is pale lilac, the same as what I will use for the dress lining! Hooray for fabric consistency!
The detail is the gold duchess satin I was going to use for the dress. Sadly I realised it's not yellow enough, so I'm going to use it for all the gold details in the costume instead.
16th November 2013: Bloomers WIP I'm trying to document how I make everything in this costume, so here's how I did the bloomers:
I measured and cut out 4 pattern pieces (1). These are deliberately big for maximum poof. I used one front and one back piece for each leg. With 'right' sides together, I backstitched each outside leg seam. I then turned and folded over the bottom edge , backstitching it in place (2). Next I sewed a line parallel to this one to form a channel which I threaded through elastic before stitching the inside leg.
The next step was stitching both legs together (3). I left a section of the back seam free, so I could turn and fold over the top edge to form the waistband (4). After threading though more elastic, I sewed up the rest of the back seam and voila!
14th November 2013: Bloomers Bloomers all done! They were really simple to make and I'm really happy with how they turned out. So poofy!
20th July 2013: Fabric! I didn't intend to start this for a while but then I found some gorgeous fabrics where my friend works!
I have pale gold duchess satin for the bodice and skirt, and lilac duchess satin for the bloomers and bodice front! Oh, and I found a lovely cerise satin/velvet mix for the cape, crown and bag! I wanted to use velvet for these but I though it would be too heavy for the cape so the satin-backed velevet stuff hopefully will be perfect c:
Found some gorgeous floral fabric in my local fabric shop yesterday while buying stuff for James' Locke cosplay. It even had red and yellow flowers on it! All I need now is the iridescent chiffon for the cape lining....
and to buy the game!
Exelia - 30th May 2013
Yes yes yes <3 if/when you do this, I'd love to get photos with you as Totori!! Meruru's design is adorable and you'll suit her so much~
Einmyria - 3rd December 2013
Really looking forward to seeing this!
Exelia - 7th February 2014
This looks amazing so far!! *__* SO EXCITED to see this finished <3
InfiniteJester - 7th February 2014
This looks amazing! So professional looking!
otakugirl - 7th February 2014
Your costume is soo cute
TheStarlightFairy - 7th February 2014
Thank you everyone <3 Hopefully now the hardest part is over, the rest will be quick and smooth sailing!
Kei Lin Sama - 22nd February 2014
What a sweet and beautiful character.. You're going to be perfect!
That's some serious tailoring skill on the bodice. Everything you make seems to fit like a second skin.
Cosplay Island is a news, portfolio and resource site for UK cosplayers. Join for free today, create your cosplay profile and share your photos with other cosplayers, or browse thousands of costumes by our members. Stay updated with all the latest news from the costuming world and cosplay events.