Lady Harken (Original game version) - Wild Arms


Minamicon 14 (2008)

There May Not Be Enough Prizes award @ Minamicon 14

Watch on Youtube


This will be my first fully armour based costume. Back to cosplay school.
A lot of trial and error went into this costume, but mostly a mountain of funky foam.

I have wanted to do this costume since I can remember and I'm glad I finally gave it a go. In the end it was a bit rushed, but it was certainly worth it to hold up the retro end of the Wild Arms group. Best group I have ever been in; Taste the Rainbow!
I hope this will allow me to start actually considering those costumes I've always thought out of reach.

See me nearly take off Mark's face with a scythe in the video (subconcious evil) :D

-Retro games hate us and only release one picture of your character obscuring the front of the costume!

-Use the same colour funky foam as the final colour, it saves a lot of hasstle. The shop I used didn't sell white, so I used yellow as the closest match. Even after two coats of paint the yellow showed through (worst on detail work).

-No matter how long ago you sprayed it, pack the pieces in seperate bags before packing for the con. Red marks on white bands >.<

-Contact adhesive reacts with paint; be neat with your gluing. Anywhere the glue had squidged out from under a layer the paint would not settle, thankfully there were only a few small areas this happened.

-Dust will attack your drying PVA, only really a problem if your making something white.

-Jump suits are silly, especially Santa ones!

All of the armor was glued with contact adhesive for strong, smooth joins and instant stick (no holding akward curves in place while it dries. Details were made with more layers of Funky Foam. The FF was coated in about 8 layers of PVA glue to get a shiny toughened effect before spraying over with paint. Plastic bags and masking tape kept the red and white spray paint neat.

For the chest piece I used a bodice top pattern for the shape of the panels and added piping down the front seams. It was secured by elastic straps from 6 buckles in a harness effect.

For the leg guards I drew around my leg profile and cut two panels with half the curve of the profile. For the arms I used one sheet cut into a truncated cone shape. I then glued strips on top to get the ridged effect and used rivets to lace them up.

The knee guards are two similar diamonds slightly moulded under heat to curve over the knee vertically. The top layer is riveted in place like a bridge to always stick out. Secured with buckles and elastic.

The skirt flaps were made in three sections simply because I could not buy big enough sheets of funky foam. This also meant I had to have join lines in the top layers, which was fiddly as they had to be glued on once the base layer had been bent into shape. I filled any gaps with splinters of funky foam.
There are three belt loops on the inside at the top and a roll of foam at the hip to make them stick out rather than hang at my sides.

The egg that hides the belt buckle was made from some easter egg packaging spraypainted on the inside with permanent marker for the line on the outside. I then stuck a funky foam ring around it and added some belt loops. The paint warped the plastic and I was hoping to do this some other way, but ran out of time, so alas it stayed.

The head wings were attached to the wig by long safety pins mounted on the back.

To keep the cape in place it was sewn into pleats so it could never fall wider than my shoulders.

The collar and shoulder guard were covered in red pleather instead of painted as I thought the cape might start to rub. I also used pleather for the front flap as I need to be able to walk, so funky foam was out of the question (and incredibly falic).

The scythe is made of one 5mm layer of polyboard sprayed silver with two more layers glued on top for the hilt sprayed gold. The vein detail was made with a gluegun; let the last layer dry then work over the top to get it to really stick out.
The handle was a super cheap aluminium curtain rail from Homebase with polystyrene balls painted with gold acrylic (anything with solvents will disolve them, no spraypaint!)

MangaChild posted on 20 April, 2008 - 16:24
OMG Why hasn't anyone commented on this yet!?!? Such a well constructed cos with tonnes of fantastic detail you have some great photos which compliment you really well Aint references ever a royal pain in the ... buy you look like you stepped right out of the art work and on to the masquerade floor.

UnaSpi posted on 20 August, 2008 - 19:45
Holy-! Harken! Oh wow! I have no words, other than jeeeesus christ that's awesome!

Amy-Lou posted on 25 August, 2008 - 22:40
Thank you for the lovely comments :D Retro Power!

Anonymous posted on 13 March, 2009 - 13:24
I remember you! Hope to see you again next minami! Tab

Sephirayne posted on 14 March, 2009 - 08:51
Epic cosplay. Love the armour work. Yes, I agree that retro stuff is a pain when it comes to ref. Lol!

j_mercuryuk posted on 3 November, 2010 - 22:00
Amazing!! I love you, she was a great character from an awesome game and you did her justice! You look great.

Debbie Ella posted on 14 March, 2011 - 13:25
Oh wow, that's really cool! The armour bits on this is really nice. ^_^

perfectly_purple posted on 16 March, 2011 - 09:24
Wow! Looks wicked! :D

Featured Event

Online - 19th June

International Competitions