Catelyn Stark
Game of Thrones TV Season One

Cosplayer: hakuloveszabuza

Variant: Season One (basic costume)

Status: Complete

Condition: Not Set

13th May 2012: Catelyn Stark This was a last minute costume (well two months before an event is last minute for me) as I had suddenly realised that the costume I had planned for the May MCM Expo wasn't going to be completed on time. A lot of my free time had been taken up with other life stuff and I just didn't think I could finish my planned costume to the level of detail I would have been happy with and without totally stressing me out.
Anyway I decided to bring forward another simple costume that I was certain I could complete in time and allow me time to continue with the other life stuff that demanded my time. I love the series Game of Thrones and had been planning to cosplay someone from the show for a while now. I knew that I couldn't pick a character with too much detail and as I have a fondest for both Ned Stark and the colour green Catelyn Stark seemed like the perfect choice.
I brought the Burda pattern 7977 for Cat's under gown and the required amount of fabric in a pale green colour that was on offer at half price. After cutting out the paper pattern and the fabric I was all keen to get working on my costume when my mini sewing machine decided this was the perfect time to die on me. So I had to hand sew the whole costume as no one near me had a machine I could borrow and I couldn't buy a new one as I had a small budget for this costume than I would normally as I had spent quite a bit on my original planned cosplay. Hand sewing the under gown was slow work but to be honest quite relaxing and luckily I had give myself plently of time to complete the costume.
Once the under gown was finished I started on the over dress/coat this is my favourite part of the costume. I used a Butterick B4732 pattern for a long evening coat and just added a few inches either side of the front hems to ensure the fullness of the coat. I also had to change the original pattern had a high collar and the coat I wanted had no collar. For this I used a white cotton fabric so that I would be able to dye the fabric to desired dark green colour as I couldn't find any dark green coloured fabric. As the coat would take a lot of fabric (I had two metres left from another costume that I would use as well as the fabric bought)I decided to make up the coat and then dye it as I couldn't get it all in my washing machine. I used a dark green cotton as I have been caught out before sewing together a garment with a pale cotton that even when told it will take the dye hasn't so I thought it was safer to use the dark cotton. I left the hems of the bottom of the coat (I had extended these beyond the paper pattern) and the bottom of the sleeves so that I could finish these hems after the dyeing process.
To created the long sleeves I used the sleeves froma McCall's M4490 pattern for a mediveal gown and the sleeve pattern from the coat pattern. I used the upper part of the coat pattern in order to make sure the sleeve top and arm hole matched. I also needed to make the upper part of the sleeve quite narrow, then I blended the bottom part of the McCall's sleeve pattern to achieve the desired look of the mediveal style sleeve.
The dark green dye took really well, I was very happy with how the coat had turned out. Once I had iron the now dyed coat I finished off the hems on the botton of the sleeves and the bottom of the coat after I had decided how long I wanted the coat to trail upon the ground.
Next I added the fur trim to the edge of the sleeves, I made the trim from strips of fake fur which I glued in half and then sewed to the hems of the sleeves.
The ruffled collar and cuffs which would have been the under garments I decided to make as singles pieces. This was partly because I had some muslin fabric left over from another costume but not enough to make a whole gown and partly because this should make the costume less hot to wear. The ruffled collar was made by cutting out two large circles from the muslin, I cut a hole for my head. I sewed the raw hems together (at the head hole) then sewed a channel of about an inche so I could thread some elastic and gather up the fabric. The sleeves were made by making two tubes of muslin which I would wear under the sleeves of the coat and gown like long gloves, these would be kept up by two loops of elastic. I decided to paint the muslin with a mixture of black, white and green watered down fabric paint as I wanted to get a more pleasing shade to match in with the other colours of the costume.
I bought a cheap wig as the budget was quickly being used up, it wasn't bad for the money but I would like to get a better wig in style and colour when I wear this costume again or do another version of Cat.
Over all I am really pleased with how this costume turned out especially as I made it in less than a month which is great going for me. I know I am going to have a lot of fun cosplaying as this character and hope to do a photo shoot with this costume toward the end of the year as Winter is coming ^^


Sephirayne avatar

Sephirayne - 23rd March 2012
Win! Looking forward to seeing.

hakuloveszabuza avatar

hakuloveszabuza - 23rd March 2012
Thanks hun, will be a rushed version but already got my eye on her Season Two grey outfit and can't wait to see how her 'later' version is portrayed on TV.

sjbonnar avatar

sjbonnar - 26th March 2012
This will be awesome!

Sephirayne avatar

Sephirayne - 1st May 2012
The progress is looking fantastic. Can't wait to see it complete ^^

Relion avatar

Relion - 11th May 2012
Looks awesome and cozy! You're going to make a great Cat (:

Nymphie avatar

Nymphie - 11th May 2012
I think I'm in love with those sleeves! I can't wait to see this! n_n