18th January 2012: Weaponry Since I've made a lot of progress on the suit, I've made the (probably deeply foolish) decision to also attempt the sword. Ivy's sword is such an iconic part of her character design that I'd really like to have it to pose with.
After discussion with TheKillingDoll, we decided that the most sensible material to use given the time constraints would probably be card. I was thinking about some form of foam but that would need sealing with several layers before painting, and since I'm so pushed for time and not home most of the weekend that isn't really practical.
Instead, at his suggestion, I've decided to use card. It will be easy to paint, lightweight, and require little preparation.
We also decided that the whip form of the sword is much more recognisable. For the whip centre I've bought a sink unblocker from Wickes. I went in with the intention of getting a shower hose, but they were all too fat and far too expensive. However, the sink unblocker was a good length, the right diameter, and looked very similar, as well as being half the price of the cheapest shower hose.
I'm also planning to run strong garden wire through it so that the sword is posable.
I spent (again with consultation) about an hour working out the shape I needed to cut from the card to make the blade sections as 3D forms. Since maths/physics/geometry is far from my strong suit this was a challenge, but I eventually managed to work it out to my satisfaction (pic) and have cut all the card pieces. I'll be scoring them today and hopefully will be able to glue some, if not all of them tonight.
Since I won't be home from Friday morning, I'll probably have to paint the whole thing with acrylics rather than spray as I can do that when I have some time at my parents'.