19th July 2012: Uggggh (aka Dyeing 2) So I dyed my fabric, and the shade matches the reference art, but it doesn't match the boots. I bought two pairs of boots - a suedette size 5 pair and a leather size 6 pair in case the 5s didn't fit. The 5s turned out to be a great fit and suedette is much more appropriate for the costume, but for some reason they photograph really dark, probably due to the suedette absorbing all the light. On visual inspection the fabric is obviously a few shades lighter than the boots but the colours complement. Photographically, they look as in the picture for this entry. I dyed some swatches in Jeans Blue like I said I was going to, and even with just dipping them for a few moments, the colour became much much darker and went the other way, being darker than the boots. The colour also didn't complement the boots like the lighter shade did, the swatch was almost a khaki colour. You can see the darker swatch in the photo - as you can see, it photographs to be a better match, but I'm not sure how well that would hold up under studio lighting or in daylight (it's pretty dark and dingy in Glasgow at the moment.
I put a white pair of trousers between the boots and the fabric to see if the white would fool the brain into matching the colours better. It works for the darker shade but emphasises the difference in colours for the lighter shade, on visual inspection. Photographically, the matchings aren't too disparate.
So thus is the dilemma I have - do I go for the lighter shade, which matches the reference art,photographs acceptably but mismatches the boots in real life? Or do I go for the darker shade, which matches the boots, photographs acceptably but doesn't fit with the reference art?
In the end I got annoyed with the whole thing, because I'd paid for and mixed up the dye and didn't want to throw it away unused as it would have been a waste. So in a fit of grump I cut my fabric in half and have dyed that the darker colour. It's in the washing machine now.
Now I'm sitting here writing this and feeling like what I've done is a bit stupid. If I'd kept it the way it was it probably would've been fine, and now I don't have the spare fabric for mistakes in patterning etc, so if I screw up I'll have to buy more fabric and do the dyeing process all over again! I would have to have chosen between the two colours anyway because I'm not making the whole tunic top twice. The more fool me.
I guess I'll just see what the other one looks like when it's done and if I don't like it I can just use it for patterning purposes and for the piping. Still kinda annoying, though ><; I only dyed it because I knew the dye would go off in a few hours and then it really would've been a waste.
The thing I've learned from this experience is that sometimes you have to waste dye in experimenting, just like fabric. I should've let go and just poured the dye down the sink and been happy with the mix that I had. Then again, if I'd been happy with the original mix I wouldn't have tried redyeing it. I suppose the process of attempting it made me happier with the original shade, knowing I couldn't get it more satisfactory.