Pirate School-Girl Uniform - Original


I want to do this costume as I have a lot of pirate-themed accessories, so I thought it'd be good if I could put them together as part of a costume.

The easiest part of the costume was the bits made from one accessory.

The hardest part of the costume was making sure the skirt would come out a bit, which it does at a satisfactory level.

The costume was very comfortable to wear and the only bit that gave me trouble was the bandana loosening but only very slightly.

From this I learned how to make an elasticated waist for a skirt and found it was quite easy. :)

Officially started 12/11/2010 when I bought fish-net arm warmers in addition to the accessories I already have.

The bandana, tie (made from two things), net-gloves, tights, bag, and flag are all previously bought items.

The boots were bought from eBay from a1-brands-uk.

To make the shirt I made two collar shapes from black material, added white ribbon to one and a flap to another. I stitched those together, right side in, turned them inside out and sealed. Then I cut the sleeves and some of the waist off the shirt to make it how I wanted (since it was originally a long-sleeved shirt), and I also cut out a triangle from the front. Then I used the flap to stitch it to the shirt. Then I made a triangle out of previously cut out white material, stitched the ribbon onto it, and attached that to the shirt with stitching and velcro (which I didn't really need to do). Then I hemmed the edges of the shirt and added the red ribbon. The red ribbon looks a bit untidy, but with this being an original costume, I feel like I don't really need to be perfect with this. PLUS since it's pirate-themed it's OK if it's a bit messy since pirates don't have amazing sewing machines on their ships. :P

To make the skirt I got pirate fabric for the main bit and net-like pirate fabric for the inside bit, which I happened to stumble across in Fabric Land. I cut out long strips of each, cut out zig-zags at the bottom, and sewed them together at the top. I then got red fabric and cut the length out as long as the main bit was, and twice the size I wanted the height to be. This was stitched on at the top so that it would form a tunnel for the elastic to go through. Then I got thick waist elastic, threaded it through, pinned the skirt together and sewed it. The red band doesn't show but that's for insurance if I stretch and I fear my belly showing.

Freyarule posted on 23 April, 2011 - 16:05
Arrrrr me heartie

LittlePidgey4 posted on 24 April, 2011 - 00:37
Aaarrr, I need to practice me pirate lingo. XD

Sailor-Collar Shirt
Black Tights
Brown Boots

Total cost: £0.00

19th February 2011

Skirt Finished

Got thick waist elastic and threaded it through the red band using a safety pin. Pinned the elastic at both ends, pinned the skirt together, and sewed it all shut. The red band doesn't show normally but it's mainly for insurance if I stretch and my belly shows. I'm quite happy with the skirt length. :)

12th February 2011

Skirt Progress

Measured out and cut out a thick, long strip of red material for the waist band. Sewed it on so there's a tunnel going through it for the elastic. It had to be cut down a couple times since I was making the band too thick and therefore the skirt would be too long. I want a thick band since the main bit's a bit short on its own plus the shirt was cut down a bit too short and I don't like my belly showing.

7th February 2011

Skirt Started

Got some fabulous pirate fabrics for the outer and inner bits. Measured thyself and cut out lengths of skirt pieces from each fabric. Then they were stitched together at the top. This might go a bit wrong but I have lots more fabric to make this again if I do. Next is making the red band that the elastic will go through and stitching that on.

31st January 2011

Shirt Finished

The red ribbon was stitched on, and I almost ran out too. :P It looks slightly messy but I think it looks more pirate-made that way. I'll sort out the label showing on the bandana, and the tie has also been sorted out. The shirt's slightly short, but I'll make the skirt longer.

31st January 2011

Boots Purchased

These boots were bought from eBay and they feel and fit very nicely. I really wanted buckles on them since that looks piratey. XD

31st January 2011

Shirt Progress

Edges have been hemmed successfully after I discover increasing the thread tension stops loops appearing, and the red ribbon has been pinned on ready to be sewn on.

29th January 2011

Shirt Progress

The flap was pinned on and hand-sewn on (which I still find fiddlely(sp?)), and the tips of the collar at the front were secured down with poppers and glue, then I made the front triangle bit out of previously cut-off shirt and a red ribbon. This was attached with stitching on one side and velcro on another side so there's enough room to get my head through. The arms and bottom of the shirt have been cut down and pinned in place to hem. Then I'll add the red ribbon.

29th January 2011

Shirt Progress

The two collars were sewn together right-side in and were then turned inside-out so the ribbon and the flap were shown on the outside. The hole was then sealed shut behind the neck. The collar isn't than shiny as in the photo and it will be ironed.

28th January 2011

Shirt Started

Two sailor collar shapes have been cut out. The ribbon has been sewn onto on side, and a flap has been sewn onto another.

27th January 2011

Misc Items #1

Here's a photo of the bandana, tie (made from a small scarf and a hairband-type thing), net gloves, and black tights I'm going to use.

Featured Event

Online - 19th June

International Competitions