Enma Ai (Series One Kimono) - Jigoku Shoujo

StatusComplete
Worn AtLondon MCM Expo May 2008


Photos

 


Information

I wanted to cosplay as Hell Girl as I love the anime and think that her flowery kimono is so pretty and as I wanted to make a kimono it seemed like the prefect choice of costume.


I used a Simplicity kimono pattern but decided just to line the sleeves rather then the whole garment as I was worried that with adding the flower details it would become very heavy to wear and in May if we had hot weather it could be slightly uncomfortable.
After making the basic kimono with long sleeves (which I lengthened from the pattern) from black cotton I lined the sleeves with lighter weight cotton in a rich red shade. I machine stitched a strip of this red cotton under the collar of the kimono with about an inch showing to give the appearance of the lining or garment worn with the black kimono. I did this again with another white strip of cotton to give the illusion of several layers being worn. This was not only due to reducing the weight to be worn but also time constraints having fallen ill a week before the expo and there for not being able to spend as much time on the costume as I would have liked.
The flower and leaves details I decided to cut from white fabric the same kind as the black of the kimono. I thought it would be better than hand painting onto the kimono as if I made a mistake it would be almost impossible to correct whereas if I mucked up one flower on the white I could just make another one.
I cut out large and small circles from the white fabric along with two styles of leaf shape which I then painted with fabric paint. The orange I had to mix myself and a few of the large flowers and leaves I added some shading with a lighter shade mixed up by adding a little white to the original colour. Once the flowers and leaves were dry I hand stitched them to the kimono which took a long time especially the sleeves as I had to be careful not to stitch through to the other side of the sleeve.
The obi I figured out a simpler version than the pattern and was made by machine sewing a tube which I would slip over my head from the same red cotton as the lining. Another tube was sewn to the back of the obi to make the tail of the sash and also served to hide the seam. To make the obi stiff and sit upright I used thick buckram which I duct taped to the inside of the obi. I finished the obi off by attaching a length of yellow satin cord that I doubled up, tied in a slip knot and then stitched to the obi.
The blue sash I made from a length of cotton the same as I used for the obi which I machine stitched into a tube and would sit just above the obi.

The shoes I bought from a cheap shoe shop and turned into sandals by first removing the bead details on the straps. Then I wrapped a strip of red cotton which I had machine sewn into a thin tube around the strap and finally hand sewn in place.

The bracelet I made from a length of thin cord, brown wooden beads and a gold bell.

The wig I bought from e-bay and then styled by trimming the length and fringe.

Comments

ryaoki posted on 21 April, 2008 - 13:41
omg this is going to be amazing, you showed me progress on webcam i soo cant wait rachie

ryaoki posted on 15 May, 2008 - 18:35
omg the progress is looking amazing hun, i cant wait for this. good luck sticking them lol now u no how i felt with kanetsugus armour lol

stripey_dani posted on 16 May, 2008 - 12:05
OMG youve started! *excited* ^^

Kaka Extreme posted on 13 June, 2008 - 23:20
owww i loved this kimono >_< it was sooo pretty! i hope you wear it to ame!!!!

BlusterSquall posted on 29 June, 2008 - 23:55
Seeing this upclose was so awesome! I loved seeing all the effort you'd put into the flowers, you could just see all the detail! I hope you wear it again (with more comfortable shoes!)

Bunni posted on 3 November, 2008 - 13:50
This is one of my favourites of all your costumes it's so beautiful <3