10th August 2010: Catsuit construction 2 Having made the top part to fit closely I then grabbed more of the spare material and attched it on with tack stitching. I had the split seam at the back held together by the zipper temporarily tack stitched in place. So I started pulling the fabric tight and taking up all the slack with safety pins where the seams would be placed, eg down the side of the leg. I then marked along these pin lines with a pen to show where the seams would be, and then carefully cut the excess fabric off. Then I had to take some of the pins out to get the rough garment off. After a few more alterations to take in any more slack and to get the fabric to lie nicely in the curve of the back and across the bum the rough was nearly finished. (lots of taking it off, adjusting, pinning it back on etc). I finished the rough off by measuring and marking 1/2 inch from the pin lines for seam allowance, and trimmed the escess fabric down. This forms the finished rough pattern.
Now with all shapes and seams marked I diss-assembled the rough into its seperate parts. Then lay these pattern pieces onto the proper purple costume fabric, pinned and cut new streach lycra pieces out. Then I tack sewed sewed the new purple lycra pieces together and tried it on for a first fit. The costume still needed adjustments to get it crease free, and I found the lycra tricky to machine sew. It had the nasty habbit of puckering up underneath and I wasn't aware of it until the whole seam was finished - which meant unpicking it ALL the way back to the pucker and re-sewing it..Tedious! To overcome this - now I sew about every 6 inches (15cms) and stop! to have a peek underneath and check everything is still going ok ;)