×
 

Lizzie (OVA Green Dress) - Black Butler


 


I've actually wanted to cosplay this outfit for a loooooong time, but it just kept getting pushed aside for newer more relevant stuff. Thankfullyyyy it looks like I finally got it done for Amecon this summer!

WORN AT:
Amecon 2018
London Comic Con October 2018

PARTS I MADE:
- The Jacket, which is mainly Brocade with brown Cotton for the collar and facings and is also fully lined (albeit somewhat messily in places).
- The Skirt, which is an olive green Cotton Twill. I couldn't find a pinstriped one so I used thin Grosgrain ribbon and sewed it in place. There's also a big ol' bow on the back made of the same Twill and interfacing in the waistband. The brown Cotton along the bottom is the same one used on my Jacket and Hat.
- The Spats. They're an off-white pleather and I had my GF's help in coming up with the shape. There's elastic that slides under my shoe to keep them in place and the little flower buttons are handsewed on.

PARTS I MODIFIED:
- The Wig! I realised I had a blonde wig and clips stashed away from Coscraft that I'd never properly used~ They were straight at first so I curled them using large plastic rollers and the 'hot water' method. The fringe was already cut (badly) so I tried my best to fix it too.
- The Hat. It existed as a white hat with crocodile hairclips underneath and a flowery thing stuck to it. I took these off carefully and then covered the whole thing in brown Cotton. Then I glued on some green ribbon! I think next time I'm going to take off the ribbon that ties under my chin because it looks... weird...
- The shirt. It's a plain shirt from ASDA, I added a hook and eye to the top closure and cut off the collar and sleeves. Finally the armholes have a little bit of trim added to look a little more 'finished'.

Sephirayne posted on 10 September, 2019 - 17:08
Congratulations on the showcase. Excellent costume.

Curl the Pigtails
25th July 2018
Using a Hot-Water method
Finish Jacket
Gather the Sleeves
25th July 2018
Attach Sleeves to Jacket
25th July 2018

Total cost: £0.00

3rd November 2018

Lizzie's Wig!

As I was styling Lizzie's wig I remembered to take a couple of step-by-step photos, so you can see how the pigtails have changed.

3rd November 2018

Dress and Jacket

So I took a long time on this jacket! It's only small and something that a lot of folk could put together in much much less time but I was determined to get out of my habit of rushing everything I make. The jacket is made of a cream brocade and I lined the whole thing, and added facings made of that same brocade. I had to wing the pattern because I didn't have one to hand that matched enough-- if the collar was right the jacket fit and cut was wrong or vice-versa! So the collar doesn't sit quite right, but even still I'm proud that I was able to come up with the pattern myself. The collar is made of brown cotton that can also be found on my skirt and hat and has interfacing on the inside. I also had to adapt my sleeve pattern to add the big 'puffs' that Lizzie has although lining the sleeves was definitely a tough thing to get my head around. I also included a picture of my skirt in-progress. I sewed blocks of green twill into one long run and the black stripes are grosgrain ribbon that I pinned and sewed in place. Along the hem of the skirt once this was done, I added a long stripe of brown cotton and rolled the hem. The skirt isn't lined just because it's already quite heavy!

3rd November 2018

Gloves and Sleeves

I wanted to add a picture of my gloves because even though they don't match the reference (they should be brown) they're really pretty and were a nice eBay purchase! All of the colour-accurate gloves were completely wrong-looking so I settled for 'inaccurate but nice' instead. I also included a picture of my sleeve cuff, purely for the fact it's the first time I've fully lined sleeves and added facings and I'm just really proud of them! I hope I can get faster at stuff like this as I keep trying.

3rd November 2018

Lizzie's Hat

Lizzie's hat started life as a 'steampunk' costume hat from Ebay. I pulled off the design that was glued on and replaced it with a 'cover' made out of brown cotton that I'll be using elsewhere in the costume too. On top of that I added some green ribbon tied in a bow to help it match up with the reference. The ribbon that ties under my chin is glued underneath the hat itself and I can cover it with my clip on pigtails!

22nd June 2018

Ordering Fabrics

After asking for some help from my squad (because I’m clueless with fabric types) I was able to get some really awesome suggestions of what to actually use! For the Jacket I’ve actually moved away from the reference slightly and I’m going to use a pretty, cream Brocade because I wanted to fancy things up a bit~ I’ll line this and use plain Cotton and Interfacing for the Collar sections. For the Skirt itself I found a really nice Olive-coloured Twill to do the job! I’ve never used Twill before but I like the feel of my sample so that should be easy to work with. My waistband section will have some soft interfacing in there too, I’m going to add the thin skirt stripes with a plain matte grosgrain ribbon, and the panel along the bottom will be the same Brown Cotton from my Collar. I bought a cheap hat from eBay which I’ll also cover in that same Brown Cotton- it was easier than trying to find a super accurate tiny hat! I haven’t ordered it yet but I’m thinking of a Cream Pleather for the spats (on suggestion from the GF who has made spats before), the Pleather will likely be rigid enough to stay up which is what I want! Most of my fabric has been ordered so I’m itching for it to get here!! In the mean time I’m likely going to make some mock-ups, especially for the jacket.



International Competitions

Recommended crafting tools & accessories



Sponsored links information

Featured Event

Milton Keynes - 8th November