Merida
Pixar's Brave

Cosplayer: concerning_kj

Variant: Everyday dress

Status: Complete

Condition: Not Set

23rd August 2017: Dress finished Both sleeves are attached and the areas of the vents which had ripped away have been reattached! I'm finished the dress, ready to go, bring on the con! (Still need to finish the bow and sort out my cape but shh)

21st August 2017: Sleeves are attached! Well...sleeve. But the implication of two sleeves sounds more like progress.

11th August 2017: Round up of progress - July I've been working away at this costume in fits and starts so although it's relatively simple, it needs a lot of work still done before it is complete. I have finished the wig -- I boil curled the base wig and then after deciding it needed more volume, I've spliced in a second wig. It's been strategically curled too, and I think we can call it done.
The bow is all but finished - I covered the paper mache with wallpaper filler and sanded it down, covered it in a base coat of paint, varnished over that, didn't like the colour so painted over it and varnished it a second time and it looks passable. I've glued on the faux leather wraps using bag straps I've pilfered from bags I never use any more. The bow, all in all, has cost me nothing. Thumbs up.
The dress is the big issue - I have practised the sleeves and I have drawn up a successful pattern for them, but inserting the 'puffs' into the sleeves looks to be the issue I am going to have. I have added a neckline ruffle and it looks okay but it also still needs work; the neckline looks incredibly messy.
TO DO:- Add sleeves, cut the hem to length, finish neckline
I have purchased a petticoat to wear under the dress and emphasise the a-line shape, as the material is extremely heavy and 'drapey' and can be rather figure hugging -- not really what I wanted!

20th July 2017: Bow WIP It's taken a long time, lots of paper mache...some paint, some more paint...varnish. And I'm still not done.

29th June 2017: Bodice and skirt (main dress) almost complete! So, I've finally cut and sewn the material I was afraid of and so far I'm happy with it! It's heavy and very drapey and I'm very pleased with the fit. (Though, as my grandmother would say, you can see exactly what I had for breakfast!) It goes on over my head due to the stretch velvet, so thankfully I didn't have to work out an invisible zipper. I still have to cut the hem and turn it up, and work is still required on the neckline. But other than that, the hard part is done. Now I have to do the REALLY hard part which is making the sleeves.

28th June 2017: Pattern planned I've drawn up my dress pattern but the actual thought of cutting out my material is giein me the fear.

26th June 2017: Bow progress Using half of a hula hoop and a coat hanger, I've begun my bow. Basically, I used wire cutters to cut an old hoop in half, peeled off its foil coating and found the join in the centre. I removed the pieces from the join and used the stopper from the middle as a marker for the bow's center piece. I then used a saw to cut both halves evenly, snapped the ends off of a coat hanger and inserted the snapped off pieces into the hollowed hoop ends. I then carefully balanced the other ends around the centre point and taped then with masking tape. From that point, I covered the entire thing with a layer of paper mache and cotton wool in the areas I wanted to emphasise the recurve shape.

17th June 2017: Base Wig worked on Got a synthetic wig for a fairly high price but it turned out to be pretty thin and patchy. Reluctantly I decided that I'd probably have to repurchase a more expensive coscraft wig because those things are thick af! However, since I had this cheap wig sitting around, figured I'd practice curling it. Had to do it without curling irons, as the synthetic fibre didn't melt or anything but also wouldn't take on any shape. So I boiled the wig with curlers in, dipped it in ice water and then let it dry for a day. It turned out awesomely and I'm now decided to just add some extra wefts (or perhaps graft another wig to it) to get a fuller Mérida worthy volume. It's curled up so well, but it's still kind of patchy in spots unfortunately.

10th June 2017: Fabric purchased! I said that I wasn't going to use velvet fabric for this -- I wanted to hedge on the historically accurate side of costume and not the Disney Princess side of costume. However... Sometimes life hands you a bargain of three metres of fabric in an almost perfect colour in a charity shop and you have to take it. So yes. I have bought velvet fabric. This is truly a Disney Princess cosplay.


nanahara avatar

nanahara - 23rd August 2017
Will be sure to keep an eye out for you, loving how it's looking. You be awesome as Merida.