14th June 2016: AnimeCon! PopcornKuma and I wore these together at AnimeCon and it was a blast! The costumes wore really well and I'm super happy with how they looked (and even though they were super rushed I think the wings were my favourite part..)!
Hopefully we'll be doing a shoot soon <3
8th June 2016: Wings Wings are go!! 4 different attempts at these things with fabric before finally giving up and just making them out of foam instead - but hey, they look much cleaner this way and are super light!
They're built on a basic frame made from wire coat hangers. Each hanger was bent into a deep U shape and then folded at the top to create the wing harness. The harness then slips under a bra strap (and can fold over if needed!) and pokes out of the back of the dress through 2 eyelets where the wings get slid into place.
The wings are made from 3 layers of foam - the inner layer is the main wing shape, then there are two smaller layers that form the curl and top feather (which also conveniently hide the wire inside). The middle layer has a thin channel cut into it where the wire can slide in securely, so the wings are easily removed, nice and 3D and also much easier to pack!
Once cut, shaped and glued the wings were sprayed with mica powder and sealed with a layer of mod podge to help keep them sturdy. They're sparkly and cute~!
2nd June 2016: Dress Almost ready! Just some handsewing to go and two more buttons to be sewn on, then there's just the wings! Our shoes also arrived, yay!
The dress is made from Burda 6821, kindly adjusted by Bernie to have more of a flare in the skirt and have the pink panel, with redrafted puff sleeves too. Bernie made her dress first so a lot of mine was made by eyeballing her work and making mine match. The front pink panel secures on with buttons and a hidden popper, holding out the edges of the dress nicely. The main dress is made from bi-stretch, lined with anti-static lining and reinforced with bits of interfacing where needed.
The collar panel is made from Butterick B6097, again adjusted by Bernie to fit under the dress and secures with poppers. You can't really see it here but it has a cute little collar and fastens up the front.
For how much trouble this dress gave me - I swear it almost went in the bin about 4 times - it's actually turned out really cute! I can't wait to wear it with Bernie as Tomoyo!
26th May 2016: Gloves Image is of an unfinished glove, the final ones have buttons up the side but you get the idea. The gloves are made from a lovely stretch jersey knit, only slightly darker than the rest of our fabrics, lovely and comfy!
Originally I did try to make our gloves from bi-stretch to match everything else, but the prototype glove just had too many issues to make it worth doing. So I tracked down this pink instead. As said it's slightly darker, but it's the same kind of pink and compliments the rest of the costume without being too noticeable.
Using jersey also cut the work on the gloves by about 12 hours.. these were made by literally drawing around my hand, scaling it up a little, sewing the edge and.. done. (I mean they're reinforced a bit more than that, but you get the picture)! No fiddly extra fourchettes and seams, just a nice comfy fitted glove.
I'm also making PopcornKumas pair, so.. 2 down, 2 to go! :D
26th May 2016: Hats & Pins First little job I had was to make our nurse's caps. The fabrics match the dress materials and are made from bi-stretch with interfacing and a thin layer of batting, finished with buttons and matching wing pins.
PopcornKuma had a pattern already from SWAG Cosplay (https://www.facebook.com/swagcosplay/) originally for Vocaloid "Love Ward" which I adapted into one piece, and it worked perfectly! There is also a step-by-step guide on how to fold them on their FB page, which was amazingly helpful when making these.
The wing pins are made from two layers of foam (the top layer forms the top feather and curl for depth), covered in black worbla, primed with PVA and then spray painted gold! On the back of each wing there is a gold brooch pin that makes them easy to position on the hats and dresses. There are also two tiny ones, one each for the back of the hats to close them.
You can also see my pile of fabrics here - the lightest pink is for the body of the dress, then darker pink lining, the front panel fabric and finally the fabric for the gloves on the right. Yay!
InfiniteJester - 27th May 2016
This is looking gorgeous so far! Can't wait to see you guys in the final outfits!
Cosplay Island is a news, portfolio and resource site for UK cosplayers. Join for free today, create your cosplay profile and share your photos with other cosplayers, or browse thousands of costumes by our members. Stay updated with all the latest news from the costuming world and cosplay events.