23rd March 2016: Costume - 2 ..Or more appropriately, "sleeves!!"
As said in the last entry, after assuming Sumomo's sleeves sat on her upper arm I checked my references and actually, they fit over her shoulders. Which is perfect! From this, the whole bodysuit will be supported from the top and this is how I'm going to do it. At first I considered using nude fabric/netting to create a bodysuit to the neck, but with this structure I no longer need to.
The sleeves are made from 3 panels; the first 2 are the inner structure, made of a strap (1) and small puff sleeve (2). This will connect to the front and back of the bodysuit and provide an internal support and keep the sleeves held up in place.
1 connects to the front of the bodysuit and the back and measures around 15 inches, whereas 2 is a tad longer so it fits under the arm. I didn't want a full strap sitting inside, so it only extends where it needs to, to reduce bulk inside the arm. Testing it on the bodysuit I mocked up worked really well, so hopefully it will for the final version too. I'm also considering putting bra straps through 1 to give it more support, but that'll be added later. This "inner sleeve" is pictured at the top right.
The outer puff (3) is pinned in place here, connecting to the outer edge of 1 at the top and the outer edge of 2 at the bottom. It is slightly longer than 1 and 2 combined, so it also stands over the original shape and has space for a nice layer of wadding inside. As you can see in the bottom 2 pictures, it's a little flat overall at the moment, but has a great wide shape. The fabric needs to be a bit wider and have thinner wadding inside to help it sag like hers do in the artwork, I think, so I'll be fixing that up for the final version. I might also make them a little longer overall, since her arms are short and it'll help with the proportions a lot.
For a first attempt I think it turned out pretty nicely!