minnie
 


Costume :Margaery Tyrell
Variant :Season 3 Dress
Source :Game of Thrones (TV Series)
Progress :In Progress
Worn At :None


Costume Photos

The back of the dress

Hairstyles

Just need a rose!

Nearly finished bodice

 


Costume Information

General
Cost : £60
Time Taken : 10+ hours

Description
I decided I wanted something a little less involved and detailed as a next project after my Morrigan costume proved to be quite tough! I love the costumes on GoT and I think Margaery's season 3 cut out dress was just what I needed. It was more about the fabric and construction than it was about the tiny details.

Bodice:
I drafted the bodice pattern totally from scratch and made it from a lovely blue and gold jacquard upholstery fabric I found in C and H fabrics for £18 a metre, but thankfully I needed less than a metre! I made an effort to pattern match which from a fabric point of view is totally inefficient but makes the final piece a lot nicer in my opinion!

Skirts:
There are 2, one gold and one blue and they're both polyhabotai (I had some real habotai silk for the blue skirt but I chickened out of using it last minute because I was scared to cut it! It's so flimsy and flies all over the place!). Both skirts are 8 gore skirts that I made from a hand drafted pattern. The gold skirt is attached to my waist with just a bit of ribbon while the blue one attaches at the front via hooks and eyes to the bodice. The velvet trim was handsewn around the perimeter of both the bodice and the blue skirt.

The rose:
Will eventually be made out of sculpy when I get round to it!

Shoes:
Have no idea

Hair:
'tis my own.

Comments

Avatar Image

Progress on the dress is looking great! I look forward to seeing the finished cosplay!

by Kata-san on Saturday, 21 June, 2014 - 17:49
Avatar Image

really nice dress, good job

by carsec on Saturday, 12 July, 2014 - 16:51
Avatar Image

This looks really pretty. Great job~

by yuubalu on Saturday, 12 July, 2014 - 20:02
Avatar Image

This is looking fantastic.

by Sephirayne on Friday, 18 July, 2014 - 16:07
Avatar Image

progress is looking great

by nanahara on Saturday, 27 September, 2014 - 15:55
 

Journal

Making an 8 gore skirt! (Posted 23rd June 2014)

So I've currently been working on stitching the skirt for this dress. There are two skirts, an underskirt of gold with a blue skirt over the top. From the sceenshots, I can see that they have seams, so they're not circle skirts but I don't exactly know how many panels they're sewn from! So I went for 8 as that sounded like enough to give me the swish I want!

Each skirt will be cut from 2 meters of fabric; the gold fabric is a poly habotai while the blue layer is pure silk habotai.

I drafted a simple pattern and then just cut it out 4 times on the fold. I'm finishing all the seams as french seams to keep it nice and clean and fray-free!