|Cost :||£70 ish?|
|Time Taken :||3 weeks|
|Reworn at: Kitacon 2014|
I've always wanted to do a Pokemon gijinka but there was no design that either I could think or had seen, enough to motivate me to cosplay.
Then suddenly, bang! a link was shared amongst my friends and when I viewed this page omg, I feel in love with the designs cos they're absolutely incredible!! I really applaud the imagination!!
And I first one I came across that I loved was Squirtles so I thought why not!? 8D
Gonna attempt this for Minami on top of my many other plans x
Though this cosplay was a bit more trickier than I imagined to put together, it was wearable enough for me to prance around in it :) I did actually have a lot of fun being Squirtle! Minamicon, I got photos with a beautiful Lapras and at Kitacon, well, I just had fun twirling in it XD
Shell overtop (Posted 14th December 2013)
The next hardest piece to get right was the shell. In some ways drafting this was trickier cos there was no back view so I had no idea how low or high it sat...
Once again, after making a mock up of the shape using a jacket pattern as a base, I sewed all the panels together to ensure it'll be form fitting and started working out where Squirtle's signature shell lines were.
To make the lines stand out, I at first was gonna sew a single line of wide stitches. However, this did not make the lines stand out so I settled for satin stitching instead which worked out better :)
To form the white bits of the shell, I at first was gonna opt for cording encased in strips of polycotton. The cord was not thick enough so I used wadding.
Top (Posted 5th December 2013)
THIS. THIS was BY FAR the HARDEST part of the entire cosplay which I was dreading the most to make and once I got started on it, I had every right to be annoyed with it ¬_¬# (Ignore the animal print sheet btw cos I had nothing else to use XD)
The patterning was hellish! The shape was annoying, lining it was annoying, drafting out the swirly patterns to applique on was annoying and the overall precision, yep you guessed it was annoyingly gay ><
BUT managed to get there in the end even though the bust area bugs me!
Skirt (Posted 24th November 2013)
To make the skirt all nice and floaty I used chiffon for the top with a layer of georgette for the bottom. Both of which are circle skirts (Which wasn't very easy to construct as the fabrics kept sliding ¬.¬#) Got there though and I'm pleased with it :)
Plus, to give it a little more boost in volume, I made a small petticoat which consisted of 2 more circle skirts :3
And Walla! (Posted 23rd November 2013)
I have a wig which resembles Squirtle (Only shorter plait and has layers) and if the colour was darker, it could even used as an Aladdin Magi wig ;D
Wig styling part two (Posted 23rd November 2013)
Continuing from the last entry: (Photos left to right)
Photos 6-8 show the wig from side, front and back view after I cut all the top set of fibres in layers :)
Wig styling part one (Posted 21st November 2013)
There was two ways I could have tackled this wig:
Method 1: Buy two really long wigs of similar style and colour, weft together and style
In the end I of course chose the 2nd one. Though the weft length wasn't as long as I wanted them to be, by far it was much easier to sew separate packs of wefts in than to take one row apart at a time from another wig. Plus, the longer the length of a wig, the harder and irritating it is to handle! DX
Anywho just gonna explain how I started 'part 1' of this process. (Photos from left to right)
1. Base wig I started with (It's a seriously GORGEOUS shade of blue -I'm in love with it!!)
Shoes complete (Posted 19th November 2013)
Feeling that the shoes would be a little bit plain leaving them as it is even with the sparkly paint job, I decided to add an extra little detail to them using a pearl trimming; appropriate to the theme of the 'aquatic'.
Pantaloons!! (Posted 19th November 2013)
This was probably easier than the arm things to sew XD Honest! The 'hardest' part about it was really inserting the elastic lol
Arm band thingys (Posted 18th November 2013)
In the midst of waiting for paint to dry, I decided to make those arm bands which were very easy and quick to put together and kinda remind of sweet wrappers....
Simply these are made from a rectangle gathered on both ends using elastic. To give that puffiness, there's a bit of wadding inside each. Ideally I did want to make them more 'round' than squished but they do hold the overall shape and size I'm after so sticking with them :)
Pearl wrist/ankle bracelets (Posted 18th November 2013)
I knew those extra packs of glass beads I brought ages ago were good for something :D Yay bracelets!
Shoes progress (Posted 17th November 2013)
So instead of buying a whole new pair of shoes, I decided to upcycle a pair of flats I hardly wear anymore and if I destroyed them, it's no big loss ;b
To start, I took off the bows on both pairs and then covered them in blue chiffon using mod podge. After leaving them to dry, I cut the excess fabric off and folded the loose pieces ready to hot glue down.
Feeling the shoes were a little bit odd in colour, I decided to paint over the chiffon with some metallic fabric paint which gives it a subtle sheen :)