Costume :Daenerys Targaryen
Variant :Khaleesi
Source :Game of Thrones
Progress :Complete
Worn At :London MCM Expo Comic Con October 2013

Costume Photos

Yum Yum


My reference image


Close Up

Tasty Heart!

Full Costume View


Costume Information

Time Taken : Approximately 2 months

I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones, both the TV show and the books (A Song of Ice and Fire), so when I decided that I wanted to cosplay at the MCM Expo it was a natural choice. This is my first time cosplaying, although I love fancy dress and I have experience in sewing as a hobby.

The hair is my own, just dyed a lighter shade of blonde than I am naturally.

I had a great time wearing this costume, and posed for a lot of photos. I got lots of great compliments which made me feel like all the effort I put in was worth it!


Avatar Image

Wow, your outfit is brilliant, the top and blood-stains look so realistic! I was just wondering if you could help me out as I'm doing the same cosplay. Do you think water-based paint would stain or would it be best to invest in some acrylic paint? (:

by Daenerys.Tar-scary-en on Wednesday, 30 October, 2013 - 21:43
Avatar Image

Thank you!

It depends what kind of water-based paint you mean, but personally I have found acrylic paint to make the best fake blood, as it dries to a waterproof finish while staying glossy. I also used a different type of acrylic for my clothes than I did for the blood on my face and arms. Let me know if you want to talk brands, but it doesn't matter too much, so long as you pick a blue-based, rather than orangey, red.

Hope that helps, good luck with your cosplay!

by pelagia on Thursday, 31 October, 2013 - 20:50
Avatar Image

Ohh okay, thanks for the help! I've just realized I don't think I'll have time to go out and buy acrylic in time for this party I'm going to, so I've made this syrupy-and-paint stuff for now but if I go to a Con I'll be sure to get blue-based acrylic as it looked great in your photos, so thanks again chuck xo

by Daenerys.Tar-scary-en on Saturday, 2 November, 2013 - 16:00

Love love love!!! What I consider one of the braver versions of dany to cosplay!! Fantastic!

by g123 on Tuesday, 28 January, 2014 - 18:36
Avatar Image

Thank you! It was a bit nervewracking getting the bus...

by pelagia on Thursday, 30 January, 2014 - 20:09
Avatar Image

Brilliant job on the details! You really suit her and the heart and blood effects are awesome. Such a good Dany!

by HarryKurt on Tuesday, 15 April, 2014 - 17:24
Avatar Image

Wow this is brilliant! :D So nice to see a different variant on Khaleesi -^^- the make up is fantastic and you look great!! ^^

by Lady-Aira on Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 - 16:26
Avatar Image

this is amazing omg I adore this cosplay! Favourite Daenerys one I have seen :D Wish I saw it at the expo!

by jessliekspie on Sunday, 1 June, 2014 - 11:14
Avatar Image

Thank you :) I'll be taking this cosplay to LFCC in July if you want to see it IRL!

by pelagia on Sunday, 1 June, 2014 - 11:30


Belt (Posted 27th January 2014)

Last week I made a belt from foam, which I sewed together by hand and then painted.
This is closer to Dany's actual belt, but I am not 100% happy with the colour.
I am also planning to make the front 'apron' bit of her skirt, which I didn't have a chance to make last year.

The heart (Posted 27th January 2014)

The horse's heart is made from papier maché, which I then painted with acrylic paint.

The necklace (Posted 27th January 2014)

I made Dany's dragon tooth necklace out of milliput, which I embedded metal fixings into. I then painted it with a celluose paint, and used some cheap chain from the DIY shop to attach them together.

The skirt (Posted 27th January 2014)

The skirt started with a suede skirt I bought on Ebay. I cut and tore it in the middle, front and back, then roughly sewed parts of it open. I quickly learned that hand sewing suede is very hard! I snipped the bottom hem roughly, and used sandpaper over the skirt to distress it. I also added some more acrylic paint 'blood'.
The lighter top part of the skirt is just white cotton that I 'dyed' using acrylic paint. I submerged the cotton in a bowl of cold water, then added different shades of brown and red acrylic paint, which worked really well.
I tore the cotton to make it more rough, and used the beads from a bracelet to sew on in place of her belts.

Top Detail (Posted 27th January 2014)

Detail of the hand-embroidered string edging and acrylic paint stains.

The top (Posted 27th January 2014)

I thought I'd add some detail of the construction of this outfit.
The top is the item I spent the most time on, as getting Dany's Dothraki top right is hard!
The starting point of the top is the base, which is a strapless bra. The nature of this top is that it is very 'rough and ready' in construction, so without a secure base such as a strapless bra, there is potentially the risk of some self-exposure...(not what you want wandering round a Con!)
For the fabric I bought a rough tweed skirt, which I took apart and sewed to the bra. I then fitted it to myself, cutting it into the shape of Dany's.
I used a plaited mix of brown wool and tweed fabric for the edging along the bust, and plaited brown wool for the halterneck strap. The back is done up with brown wool braided ties.
I used rough string for the edging below the bust, which I hand embroidered and stained with a teabag.
I then used acrylic paint for shading and blood splashes, and stamped on it a little to add distressing!