Costume :Ruby WEAPON
Source :Final Fantasy VII
Progress :Complete
Worn At :Hyper Japan July 2013

Costume Photos

Mounted up

On Stage at Hyper Japan 2

On Stage at Hyper Japan

Reference Photo


Test run

Arm Progress

Detailed Head with ridges

Head Mark II


Head Mark I


Costume Information

Cost : ~£350
Time Taken : 4-5 months

I researched thoroughly before commencing, and found to the best of my ability that there was no official/concept artwork, so I'd have to extrapolate from the pixelated images.
It also appeared that according to cosplay message boards, forums and google searches that only 1 other had attempted this previously.


Avatar Image

This is looking really interesting so far. What reference images are you working off of? :o

by Yuka on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 01:36
Avatar Image

Btw since you get limited on the Photo uploads page you might want to upload them on the Journal instead so you don't have to delete them later! :D

by Yuka on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 01:38
Avatar Image

Wow looking interesting so far!!! What a project to choose!!!

by Afireinsidegirl on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 07:22
Avatar Image

This is fantastic! Completely gobsmacked!

by tripletriad on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 12:39
Avatar Image

Dude, this was awesome and I loved it <3
I would love to see mark 2 =]

by Stubbled Grapes on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 13:17
Avatar Image

looking good so far bud, very creative!
how have you made it all?

by Osbono on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 14:22
Avatar Image

What an epic project!
It's really interesting to see the methods that didn't work in your early attempts as well as the ones used in the final costume :)

by Amy-Lou on Monday, 30 September, 2013 - 22:18
Avatar Image

I've waited a long time to see someone actually attempt any of FFVII's WEAPONs.
Hopefully you'll get some more photos of this at some point. It looks epic!

by SlimDefinition on Tuesday, 1 October, 2013 - 18:54
Avatar Image

This is awesome! I would love to see more photos of this!

by Psychoelle on Friday, 11 October, 2013 - 21:15
Avatar Image

Great job. I never expected to see someone cosplaying as one of the weapons

by ArcaneArchery on Saturday, 7 December, 2013 - 20:19
Avatar Image

This is awesome :) Clearly loads of work and effort has gone into this!

by roguearcanis on Sunday, 16 March, 2014 - 13:12


Judgment Day (Posted 27th July 2013)

Ruby WEAPON complete. Credit to EricaSharlette Promotions Ltd. (ESP) for the photo.
I didn't have time for photos of some pieces as they were constructed ad lib in haste.
The LED's were twist-operated battery-powered procured from ebay and glued in place.
The condition of the cosplay was fairly consistent until my......oh, let's call it a little tumble.
After that, there was more and more tape added throughout the course of Hyper Japan to keep it intact.

To summarise, a steep learning curve and an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. And I also have a new appreciation for why the WEAPON's aren't heavily cosplayed.

Foot platforms 2 (Posted 28th March 2013)

After endless brain-wracking, I finally came up with a solution (in the loosest definition of the word). I decided on 7 upturned 250ml buckets with some old flip-flops bolted through.

Foot platforms (Posted 25th March 2013)

Next idea for the feet.
Smallworths brand pedal bins concealing 25cm 4x4 Scandinavian Spruce wooden platforms. Secured with 100mm screws.
The theory was that softwood would be easy to cut easy to walk on. Unfortunately, it proved to be too heavy. I could have drilled holes to reduce the overall weight, but I didn't want to compromise structural integrity at the risk of them collapsing under my own weight.

Some materials (Posted 16th March 2013)

15mm Foam Sheet and a block of TR27 Loft Insulation.
The foam was used to pad the base of the feet to reduce noise made by walking.
I had the idea of packing the feet with insulation to walk on. However, this was flawed in its inception as it expanded in an outward as opposed to upward manner i.e. the seams of the feet would have split if I'd followed through.

Leg Progress 1 (Posted 3rd March 2013)

Preliminary photo taken on the feet.
I decided to work on these first as they would help to illustrate the proportion of the overall costume.
Figuring out to to shape these was a nightmare.
Cardboard base with duct tape.
Several layers of old-fashioned newspaper and PVA glue in a 50:50 water mix.
Coated in fibreglass with a 100:1 ratio of resin to catalyst.