|I briefly don't hate this again, so it's back in progress!|
More Corset (Posted 6th July 2014)
I'm taking pictures of every step of this costume because every step takes me forever.
Just the bows and jewels to do now!
Corset (Posted 1st July 2014)
I got bored of the wig half way through (I'll regret that later...) so now I'm working on the corset!
1) Please ignore the whole boob area, it’s still very much in progress
2) FIRST CORSET YEAH
3) My god I am putting in more effort to this than I have put in to anything ever
4) I forgot to account for how insecure I feel in this type of top hahahahaha fml
Wig wefting (Posted 8th June 2014)
This wig, like the rest of this costume, has been a learning experience.
I always wanted this to be two wigs plus clip-ins, because cheshire's hair is SO POOFY. I originally planned to get two of the same pink wig but I ordered one first just in case and, as I feared, it was definitely darker than the crazy over-exposed stock image. So for the second wig, I ordered a blonde/pink mix which so far is resulting in a really nice mixed colour.
Unfortunately colour turned out to be the only easy part. Every step of this wig has given me a new problem and fixing that problem has created another problem. Putting the wefts in makes the wig tangled, brushing out the tangles constantly makes the wig fibres frizzy, calming the frizz straightens out the curls... Luckily, I think I've got the hang of getting the curls back in and so far that hasn't raised any massive problems. So far.
Stripes and corset (Posted 30th May 2014)
I'm trying to take a whole new attitude with this costume. Usually everything I make uses the cheapest and fastest method possible and if something goes wrong I'll just persevere with it because I don't want my time and money to have been wasted. But with this one there's been a lot of trial and error and I'm forcing myself to not give up until it looks how I want it.
With this corset, for instance, I tried spray fabric paint (what was I thinking) and actually sewing separate stripes of fabric together (less what was I thinking but still not a good idea) before I finally got to appliqueing the the stripes. I don't know why that wasn't my first thought |: Anyway I'm ridiculously happy because this is the first part of this costume that I'm satisfied with! Also making a corset for the first time ever which is exciting. I've just pinned the striped part on to the base corset at the moment and I'm holding it at the back which is why it doesn't fit... When I get my new ruffle fabric (gave up on my old fabric sobbbb see what I mean about being a perfectionist on this one) I can make the middle section and finish this off.