|Oh man I'm really scared about this x_x|
This is such an intimidating cosplay because so many others have done her so wonderfully. But I love Dany and I've wanted to cosplay her for awhile.
Decided to go for one of her less cosplayed outfits from the last episode of season 3 'Mhysa'. :3
This is one of those cosplays that looks deceptively simple however, it's actually rather complicated, but i'm excited by the challenge!
I have this vague hope of getting this done for october expo...we'll see how that goes...
Stage Two - Making the Pattern (Posted 30th November 2013)
This stage really depends on how you work best. I know some people are super mathematically minded and could easily look at an outfit, break it down and then sketch up a pattern. Unfortunately I’m NOT like that so I started off with a base pattern as a guideline. I chose Kwik Sew K3489, but I’m sure there are plenty of other suitable patterns, this is a wrap around dress one which is probably a good place to start.
Because the material I’m using for the dress was so pricey I didn’t want to risk messing up, so I started out by cutting the pattern out of cheap polycotton. You won’t get a totally accurate results with this because obviously it will hang and stretch differently, but for pattern drafting it works just fine.
I made up the dress to the pattern out of polycotton (only pinned it together as i’ll need to take it apart for pattern making!) and then came the hard part of trying to take that and make it into Dany’s dress. Dany’s dragonscale dress is one of those things which looks simple but is actually pretty complicated. There’s some parts I still can’t really work out, but I managed to get it to the stage where it looks pretty much the same as in the show, and the small changes I had to make will only be noticeable to me (we hope!)
It’s sort of hard to ‘document’ this progress but it involved a lot of intently looking at reference pictures and trying to work out what is a seam and what’s just superficial detail. xD I cut the seams in, tried it on and off about a million times and ended up with this…
Looks super messy right? No worries, this is the reason I did a mockup in the first place! :p
At this stage don’t worry TOO much about the fit. This vaguely fits me but not to the degree I would like, the reason I say not to worry is because a dress like this involves a lot of trying on and off to make sure it fits right, and it seems a bit of a time waster to do that with the mock up you’re going to have to take apart for the pattern anyway. As long as you make sure you have enough to work with, you should be fine. (In general I always cut bigger pieces, better to be safe than sorry!)
Now I have a mockup which I know will work as an actual dress and I can use as a base pattern for my chosen fabric! :D
Stage One - Gathering References (Posted 18th October 2013)
This costume is such a big project that i've decided to post much more updates and progress than usual.
First things first - gathering references...See the awful collage. The good thing about GoT is the abundance of up close references from the designers. Upon researching this costume I've discovered that there are actually three versions of it - getting steadily more complex as the series goes on. By pure chance I've picked the most complex...and then a lot of that detail is hidden by the weird chest belt thing. xD
But yes! Here's the basic refs of the costume. I'll go into more detail as I make each part. :3