|For higher quality images please check out my DA here:|
2000% insanity required to try this... edit: but I did it!! :D
Details on the cosplay:
Wig- The wig clips were exchanged for far smaller clips so that I could get the barettes (cylindrical pieces) around the ponytails. I just trimmed the fringe and cut the ponytails to the correct length.
Ears- I've never done this sort of thing before and prosthetics are not my forte. ^^; they are just elf ears I purchased and repainted with a mix of silicone and acrylic. As for matching it to my face paint, it was a little darker as it took to the paint far more than I expected, but it was acceptable!
Pauldrons- these were the first pieces I started- and the last to be finished! The shaping was very very tricky, bearing in mind that everything had to be oversized because Poppy is a dwarf. The pauldrons were particularly important as they framed my upper body and would be the defining pieces proportion wise. As a result of the oversizing, they didn't sit on my shoulders properly, and that took a while to fix though I got there in the end ^^
Torso armour- Easy to make but very time consuming. Yes, that is leather and yes, 80% of those scales are real metal. I had to substitute towards the end with home made plastic scales because I bought out the suppliers entire stock so there wasn't a single one left! XD I really love this part because when I walked it jangled like real armour (because technically it was I guess ^^; ). This entire costume was stressful on my hands to make, but this part in particular was very damaging, apart from the stress from sewing through leather and pierced fingers from sharp needles, I got multiple sores and blisters from cutting out the substitute scales. Totally worth it though.
Belt- this was very straightforward and was completed quickly. My only worry was securing it in place because whenever I attached a leather pouch to it, it would drag the belt down. I took it off for the masquerade though so it stayed perfectly in place.
Bracers- again, very straight forward and were completed very quickly.
Gloves- straight forward to make, especially since I already had experience making covered finger tip gloves. This was done a lot better than my first deadmaster gloves!
Knee covers- easy to make but awkward to secure due to the stress from constant movement. Looking back i can see what I'd need to do to keep it in place though. ^^
Shin guards- again, easy to make but very very awkward to secure. Same as the knee guards really.
Shoes- first time making armoured shoes and woooooowwwwwwwwwwww, talk about a steep learning curve. Advice: However secure you think your shoes are, consider them unsecure and add twenty times more *insert attaching material of choice* to it!!!! Looking back it was so obvious the boots would receive a lot of strain and damage but I didn't consider it at the time! Props to people who make shoes ^^;
Shield- probably the main prop. First time making a shield and I was pretty happy with it! It was remarkably secure (40 nails later) and the decoration, though time consuming, really quite straightforward.
Hammer- this beast I worried wouldn't be secure due to the weight. To begin with it was just styrofoam and incredibly light. Damn primer and spray paint so much xD. It added a ridiculous amount of weight but was necessary to get a better finish! At the end it was quite heavy and I wa worried I wouldn't be able to lift it as wanted for the masquerade, but by some miracle I did it! Thank goodness for adrenaline xD
Underneath I just wore a love sleeve black top and black leggings to cover my skin so you could only see blue!