theKillingDoll
 


Costume :Marty McFly
Variant :2015 version
Source :Back to the Future part II
Progress :Complete
Worn At :Hyper Japan July 2014


Costume Photos

Upgraded trainers

Upgraded jacket 2

Upgraded jacket

McFly

Marty McFly 2015

Bits & pieces

Arms

Jacket progress

 


Costume Information

General
Cost : £140 so far
Time Taken : 60

Description
I have been looking at this for a while now, it is another costume with challenges.

The fabric has not been easy to find and was either the wrong colour or texture. I came across some latex sheeting in a close colour and decided to give it a try. This is my first time working with this, and it has not been easy - you can't pin latex!

Started working the jacket, but have also done a quick version of the trainers and acquired the cap. I would like to do the hoverboard at some point too, but just didn't have time at the moment as I have only just started getting back in to cosplay after an enforced break.

Still wondering if latex is the right way to go for the jacket, but I haven't yet found better material. So a mark I version as usual with me. I have marked this as complete for now, though I may go back to it in the future.

Comments

Avatar Image

The jacket looks amazing. Great job.

by Sephirayne on Sunday, 26 May, 2013 - 12:58
Avatar Image

LOVE IT

by Chibi on Monday, 27 May, 2013 - 12:40
Avatar Image

Love the textures, this is going to be great fun!

by Amy-Lou on Monday, 27 May, 2013 - 21:56
Avatar Image

Saw this on facebook- excellent work with the latex!

by KhaosKreator on Saturday, 1 June, 2013 - 19:32
Avatar Image

Looking wonderful so far!

by Storme on Sunday, 16 June, 2013 - 22:23
Avatar Image

Loving the progress on this.

by Sephirayne on Tuesday, 29 July, 2014 - 00:03
Avatar Image

Worth the wait, brilliant costume!

by Amy-Lou on Tuesday, 12 August, 2014 - 13:22

Looks great all put together! :D

by madmazda86 on Wednesday, 24 September, 2014 - 09:14
 

Journal

Finishing bits (Posted 27th October 2014)

I found that the first type of glue I used didn't work too well, so had to deconstruct the entire jacket to remove the glue and reattach the red material to the latex. While doing this I found out that the pieces had changed shape, so trimmed them to be equal again and rebuilt it using latex cement.

Also improved the cuff pieces and added new banding on the arms.

Power laces 2 (Posted 26th July 2014)

So I have all but completed the trainers. It has taken me four days to make these, which is a little shorter than I would have liked, but a deadline looms. Overall, I am quite happy with them. There are minor problems which I could correct if I attempt anything like this again, but it has been an interesting learning experience.

The trainers look wrinkles in the photo, but that is because there is no foot in them. They stretch out when worn to become smooth. I have had to take a little artistic license with them given the short time period in which I had to make them (and the fact that they are from the future!)

Power laces (Posted 20th July 2014)

Made a start on creating the shoes. They're quite fiddly in places, but at some point in the next day or so I will post progress shots

Back to the costume (Posted 14th July 2014)

So an impromptu event has seen me return to this costume. There are several things that need to be addressed, not least the ribbing around the base. I have something in mind for this but I won't know until the weekend when it arrives.

In the meantime, guess I had better start sorting out the shoes and the hoverboard. I am only intending to do the basic shoes (for now) given how close the event is.