Alias Cosplay
 


Costume :Daenerys Targaryen
Variant :Blue linen dress
Source :Game of Thrones Season 3
Progress :In Progress
Worn At :None


Costume Photos

Dress fitting

Dress draft

Bracelet and ring

Wig progress

Kraznys whip progress

Brooch complete

Kraznys whip ref

Reference

 


Comments

Avatar Image

I really like this version!

by Leadmill on Tuesday, 8 October, 2013 - 01:12
Avatar Image

Your work has gotten so masterful that I can't tell what is WIP and what is reference picture...

by Kei Lin Sama on Sunday, 10 November, 2013 - 18:28
Avatar Image

very lovely so far!

by carsec on Saturday, 30 November, 2013 - 13:32
Avatar Image

Always love to see your Danys :) stunning progress so far! Can't wait to see the finished piece :)

by Frederica la Noir on Wednesday, 12 March, 2014 - 19:07
Avatar Image

Looks great!

by Leadmill on Tuesday, 25 March, 2014 - 18:04
Avatar Image

Looking fantastic

by Cyat20 on Tuesday, 25 March, 2014 - 18:12
Avatar Image

It's coming together! I love the shape of the dress. It's fitted expertly!

by Kei Lin Sama on Tuesday, 25 March, 2014 - 20:05
 

To-Do List

Slave collarLowComplete
Accessories: ring & bangleLowComplete
Claw necklace LowComplete
BootsLowComplete
Faux leather trousersLowComplete
Cloak broochLowComplete
Linen fabricLowComplete
WigLowIn Progress
Kraznys whip LowIn Progress
Reversible cloakLowPlanned

Journal

Leather tunic draft (Posted 24th April 2014)

I made a draft first modifying certain pieces of the McCalls Dany pattern, the front bodice panels that cross over and the keyhole section of the back.
I then cut the pieces from faux brown leather. This is just one layer here, but another layer will be cut, seam detail added and lacing added to the back and stud detail to the front.

Dragonscale Smocking (Posted 24th April 2014)

I used the tutorial from Michele Carragher to make the North American styled smocking.
Above was the first test which turned out too neat and close together.
Second attempt bottom shows what I'll be trimming and adding to the dress.

Dress fitting (Posted 24th April 2014)

Final fitting before adding the smocking and embellishments. Dress fastens on the left side to match references.

Dress detail/fastening (Posted 24th April 2014)

Above the hidden zipper on the bodice section, I used hook and eye to fasten the dress on the side and small snap fasteners to keep the cover panel closed. (shown open and closed).
Top right shows the small panel I original added thinking I would need an extension on the side, but I shortened it and now it helps fasten the dress and is hidden inside.

Wig styled (Posted 25th March 2014)

Added some hair ties made from worbla so they wrap around the wig rather than tying and knotting the fibre.

Dress draft (Posted 25th March 2014)

I combined the McCalls Dany pattern for the top half and Kwik Sew K3489 for the bottom. I drafted these two sections together, then laying out those pieces I made a second draft but with added front and back darts.
The underlying skirt section was made separate with a hidden zipper in the side. The front side overlaps the back, where I managed to spot on one reference that the dress fastens with hook and eye, similar to the way the pink and blue tunics fasten.
Here things are still pinned and tacked together as the extra weight of the underlying skirt section means I need to adjust the neckline, make the shoulder sections wider on the back and adjust the curve of the front sections and the keyhole back.
After the basic fitting is complete, I'll start adding the embellishments.

Finished bracelet and ring remade (Posted 9th March 2014)

Bracelet and ring.

Ring/bracelet progress (Posted 9th March 2014)

A metal base was used for the ring (remade) and bracelet, with milliput molded around it and a piece of worbla to bridge the gap in the bracelet for strength.

Wig progress (Posted 23rd February 2014)

Starting with a new wig, the same as I've used previously - I trimmed the length and braided the sections. I then used foam rollers to heat style the curls.
Will be adding decorated cuffs over the hair ties later.

Kraznys whip progress (Posted 23rd February 2014)

I decided to make a hard copy from sculpey to cast resin replica's later.
I'm using thick braided cord for the main section of the whip and thinner cord for the tails.
I made the ring and tail ends from sculpey with a bead added to attach the cord.
The main section of the piece was reinforced inside with a cardboard tube. Parts were reinforced with milliput after baking and sanded before making the silicone mould.

Leather trousers (Posted 15th February 2014)

These grey leather trousers were a bargain and a great find, to be worn underneath a lot of Dany's outfits. They are skinny style, so thin enough to wear with the boots and to wear underneath the outfits without looking bulky.
Will need to age them slightly with some dirt dust.

Slave collar (Posted 30th November 2013)

Slave collar.

Brooch complete (Posted 10th November 2013)

Brooch complete

Brooch progress (Posted 10th November 2013)

The main part of the brooch was made paulelderdesign.com.
I added a resin gem in the centre, primed and painted the brooch silver with a tint of gold and aged a small penannular brooch to match.
The resin gem was painted turquoise and a pin was fixed to the back of the brooch.
It was easier to make this work in two parts, the main part will attach with the badge pin and the penannular brooch will fasten above it where the cape ties.

Brooch design (Posted 7th October 2013)

Daenerys brooch, original sketch by me, model made by paulelderdesign.com
Will need to add the gemstone and the pin.

Linen fabric (Posted 9th May 2013)

Found the perfect blue linen fabric for this.