|Because I really want to do another Princess Zelda cosplay, and this one is so underdone, it could become part of the Gordon Ramsey meme.|
HAIRPIECE: The gold piece is craft-foam, cardboard and Milliput, and the red piece is cotton stretched over a craft-foam base. All of this is glued onto a wide comb, so it simply slides on top of the ponytail.
CROWN: I updated the method I used for my WW crown, and used a cheap Claire's tiara as a base (after cutting off all the extra stuff). I drew out the basic shape onto cardboard and glued it on, before sculpting the crown itself from Milliput. I painted it all gold, and used a gel-style nail polish to paint the gem.
WIG: an Arda Malinda and long ponytail in Pumpkin.
DRESS and GLOVES: In order to keep the skirt and gloves matching, I used the same lilac jersey for both the base dress and gloves. I had to use stretch so my gloves would fit easily! Because the skirt is so thin, I layer it over my Marie ballgown skirt and my lolita petticoat over the top of the hoopskirt. I could do with making another longer petti so the bottom hoop isn't visible. The pink trim is velvet ribbon that matches the waistcoat.
WAISTCOAT and CAPE: The waistcoat is pink velvet with white satin bias trim, and fastens at the front via hooks and eyes. I used a mix of two patterns to get the right shape/fit, and I used felt as interfacing for the collar. The cape is ivory chiffon layered over white liquid satin and attached to the waistcoat.
FRONT PANEL: Cardboard and Milliput. In the future I would love to add to this with worbla so I get a better and smoother finish, but I was quite limited on time/funds so I had to use what I had to hand. It attaches to the waistcoat with super strength Velcro.
BELT and TABARD: The belt is gold duchess satin stretched over craft-foam, and fastens at the back with poppers. The buckle and drops are Milliput, and there are safety pins in the drops to attach the tabard. The tabard is blue cotton with bias edges, and the design is entirely hand-embroidered with DMC silks.
Making this was great fun if a bit of a rush! I'm really happy with how it's turned out, and I'm so happy to be cosplaying Zelda again. My only gripe is that it's not very practical, due to the volume of the skirt and the length and weight of the cape!
SYMPHONIC LEGENDS: It was surprisingly comfortable to wear, if very heavy! I need to work on styling the base wig, as it doesn't go into a ponytail as well as I'd hoped. People seemed to really like it though, especially the performers!
MANCHESTER EXPO 2014: I think this has been my most popular cosplay ever! I could barely move for photos, I was so flattered <3 I'm much happier with how it looked that day, despite changing in a very small cubicle (my hoop didn't even fit haha). The wig worked better, because I tied the base up in sections so the ponytail would hold better, and it worked! The tabard got caught on a few things though, including my own bag, so I'll have to fix up the embroidery for next time...
|Cape and front panel||Low||Complete|
All sculpting done (Posted 26th June 2014)
Okay I've finished all the sculpting and am pretty chuffed with how it's all turning out! I'm not as happy with my top/cape ensemble but I'm hoping that it'll look better with the rest of the costume.
Rush rush rush (Posted 22nd June 2014)
I'm trying to get as much of this costume done before Japan Expo so I have less to do in the week in between it and the zelda concert
The top is done, made of pink velvet (I have matching ribbon for the skirt) and edged with satin bias binding. The cape is white liquid satin covered in ivory chiffon. It's a biiiiig cape!
As for the tabard, I'm about 1/5-1/4 through all the embroidery *sob*! I'll probably take it with me to JE for travelling/something to do in the evenings if we have a quiet night in.