|Time Taken :||1 month|
|Femme Stuttgart Loki Cosplay made for Birmingham MCM Expo 2013 - Will be worn at Collectormania 12 also.|
My friend informed me of the convention with a month to spare to create this cosplay, but I was adamant I wanted to do it!
So I started sourcing the suit items from eBay and got lucky with a tiny pencil skirt from Primkark, a cute waistcoat from MK 1, some lovely black high heels from Primark, a gold coloured scarf with white geometric pattern on, the gorgeous dress coat from Topshop and a white shirt from ASDA / George (which arrived the day before :o)!
I also found a tie in a charity shop, some black nail polish with lacquer to go on top with green flecks in, some lovely green eye shadow, glossy tights and some green ribbon and gold embroidery thread to add to the scarf to make it more in keeping with the one Loki wears in the film.
The cane ... was another matter entirely!
I took an old hollow clothes rail pole, a Flash Bleach Spray Bottle, a Milk Bottle, some craft foam and a Glue Gun and got to work!
I cut to top off the Bleach Spray Bottle and cut out the shape (very neatly already contoured into the bottle) of the window for the Cosmicy Glow.
I then padded it out with Craft Foam and glued it to the top of cane working with a few layers of Craft Foam I cut out templates for based on images of the original cane in helpful screen caps as the ones featured in the album!
I glued these on carefully piece by piece and added detailing in the form of thin strips of Craft Foam - those were damm hard to do!
I glued some Bracelet Gemstones to the inside of the Bleach Spray Bottle so any light from the LED is reflected back out of the cane.
I then cut a piece of Milk Bottle plastic to slip inside and made a window to place the LED inside.
I sealed the top of the hollow pole so the LED wouldn't drop through and the bottom with a handy Bottle Cork which had a nice shaped cap to it!
I used the rest of the Bleach Spray Bottle to cut out a lid which I attached to the base with elastic glue gunned in place so I can have access to the LED at all times in case if fails, so I may replace it, or shifts to “off”, so I can sort it.
Finally I added craft foam to the top of the cane to give it a uniform texture and base for painting onto and then covered the window in masking tape ready for spray painting.
The first can of Spray Paint did less than 2 coats. So after the first layers I had to buy 2 more cans.
I added another 2 layers the next day and unfortunately overnight the paint had cracked. Still unsure if I did the layers too thick, if it was too cold where I left it overnight and that affected it or a combination of the both.
So the next day I added 2 more layers using hairspray in between (as suggested by a friend) to help lessen the effect of the cracks and finally tacked the lid down using white tack (as I ran out of the velcro I wanted to use to my dismay)
Overall - I am happy with my first ever attempt at a cosplay prop / weapon and know for next time things to avoid doing and hopefully my future projects will be even better!