|Gandalf. Looks can be deceptive;|
His robe is emboidered, weathered raw silk, his cloke is spun from the wool of rare new zealend sheep, his beard........ only he knows :P
So I've bought a lot of silk and spent a lot of time looking for a reasonably accurate wool substitute. Hopefully I'll do the costume justice, at least I have the stature.
Update 15th may,
Time slipped away! no way the full Gandalf will be finished for this Expo but I might have him 75%, just have to do without his cloak and a few bits. Might have splurged on an official replica staff.
Beardy (Posted 21st May 2013)
Beard wig will now be peeled off the head cast and excess latex trimmed away. It can be stuck to my face with Prosaid.
Robe ver 0.8 done (Posted 20th May 2013)
Initial dying and weathering of the robe was a success, though such a shame to treat the silk like this. Good enough for an initial wear at least.
Robe (Posted 15th May 2013)
Progress! Gandalf's robe is nearly finished and ready for dying. I had to modify the pattern conciderably to get the box pleats in and the yoke to the right shape so now it's sewn up I'm glad it fits ok without any major rework required. Only one minor panic when my material came up half a meter short (so much required due to the outside turnups) but I managed to get some more :)
Patterns (Posted 19th April 2013)
So after much searching I've settled on Butterick B5626 - an out of print pattern for choire robes, It has a yoke and should have enough fabric to accomodate the box pleats. I'm modifying the pattern at the moment.
Material bought (Posted 17th March 2013)
I've spent two months looking for suitable-not so-expensive material for this project.