|For a Sugar Rush group at Aya! They're all such cute, fun designs but I eventually settled on Crumbelina.|
Some Progress (Posted 7th June 2013)
Some initial progress showing all the fabrics I’ve bought for the costume so far, the finished skirt and where I’ve got to with the jacket.
I found a nice suedette in a great colour for this costume and am using both sides of it. I used the darker reverse side for the skirt. After studying it, I decided the pleats radiate outwards from the middle so I put two box pleats at the centre front and back, then knife pleats going opposite directions away from them, meeting at the side seams.
The jacket is wonderfully awful shiny satin jersey. I love it when I get to use ridiculous materials like that! I used the less-shiny side for the exterior and the super-shiny side for the lining. It was cheap and easy to work with, with a helpful bit of stretch to it. I used New Look 6435 as my starting point. The proper, suede-y side of the skirt suedette will be used for the cuffs/collar/sleeve stripes and waistband of the jacket, not all of which I’ve made yet.
The other fabrics (and jacket zip) I’ve bought for the costume are pictured too. I’ve got a cream polyester twill for the hat and top, and the dark brown stretch pvc is for the chocolate sauce. I looked for cords or ribbons to use on the leggings and also thought about puff paint, but eventually decided I’ll make my own trim. I chose the pvc so it’d be shiny, wouldn’t fray and would stretch nicely with the leggings. I can also cut out the pieces for the matching parts on the top and hat and it’ll work well for the shoecovers too.
Finally, I plan to buy two pairs of cheap brown leggings to have one to have one spare for matching fabric for the hat.