|Wanted one last big project to work on. I'm taking a lot of time over this and using it as an opportunity to practise new materials and techniques.|
Learning is fun!
Skulls (Posted 2nd May 2013)
So I bought a set of 5 crow skulls with the idea of moulding them to cast more, and came to the conclusion that the film definitely used scaled down sculpted skulls. There is no way 6 crow skulls can fit down a corset!
I luckily have a very talented sculpting friend, a miss Emily Pooley, who I asked to sculpt a scaled down version of the crow skulls I had. She did an amazing job of it and made it very easy for me to create a silicone block mould of the sculpt so I could easy pull out lots of fast cast skulls.
I then cleaned them up, drilled 2 holes in the skulls as stitching points and gave them a quick blast of white primer and a clear spray as the fast cast tends to come out a bit creamy.
Thank you Emi for being awesome!
Corset progress (Posted 2nd May 2013)
So this is my corset all constructed, lined, boned, biased edges etc...
I used a silk Duchesse satin for the outer and a silk lining. All the edges were then finished with a non fray stitch to make stitching on the bias a lot easier - which I ended up doing all by hand as I was worried the tiny satin bias I had and all the tight curves would be too difficult to manage by machine.
Once it was all finished and neatened I put in my eyelets and stitched all the little leaf charms on - which was a lot of searching on ebay for the most accurate leafs! The snakey detail on the front panel was an exercise in relentless googling... I initially bought some silver cord that I thought I could use but felt that it really wasn't right and didn't fit the feel of the costume, after much peering at my screen trying to see what was used on Ravennas actual costume I came across some snake chains. I found a good supplier online and ordered various different thickness's and then got to sewing all the chains across the bodice in a twisted manner so they would all lay in and over one another.
I am REALLY pleased with this find and I think it really fits in with the feel of the character. Success so far!
Old corset (Posted 2nd May 2013)
This was the first corset I drafted - disaster!
I used an old pattern I had then modified it a bit, I even got as far as constructing it out of some old satin I had and began boning it, but decided I really wasn't happy with it so started from scratch and drafted my own corset pattern that I've mentioned in a post below that I am still chuffed to bits about!
Corset (Posted 11th January 2013)
I first of all created a corset by patterning off my dress makers dummy and then trying to emulate the structure of Ravennas. I almost completed it but decided I was very unhappy with the shape of it and that the seam lines didn't match up to hers, so I tore it up for scrap (I have a bad habit of doing this often!).
Round 2. I decided to do some heavier research into the style of corset she was wearing, her outfit has an Elizabethan style to it, however I felt her corset was more 18th century, a cut that I feel is also a little more flattering. I drafted a corset pattern using my measurements and adapted it to an 18th C style, dividing each half into 4 parts. Figuring out where all the bones would go and also support the tabs that I had added was quite a lengthy challenge! Once I had my pattern though making it took no time at all, I completed a canvas insert with boning in about 2 hours.
I'm really pleased with the shape I have so far, its just pulled together with some cord at the back at the moment, no proper lacing yet.
Jewellery (Posted 12th December 2012)
Her earring gem has been such a lengthy process as I got so particular about it.
I decided to cut up my original earrings and seam them together and mould those ones, giving me lovely shiny black gems, however (again) I then got picky and decided my gems were too big, so I sanded down my originals and re-moulded them a third time to end up with a smaller shiny gem that I felt was a more appropriate shape and size.
Crown (Posted 12th December 2012)
This was a lot of patient pattern building, figuring out all my angles and shapes that would slot together to form all the geometric forms on her crown.