The Making Of (Posted 11th April 2013)
Well, I never did any progress journal entries, so I'm just going to compile every little thing I can think of into this one post, on how I made this cosplay.
I'll start at the top and work my way down. ;P
The wig was found on the marketplace (rocksanie!), and is absolutely gorgeous, definitely one of my best wigs. I love it.
I had a plain black blouse hanging around in my wardrobe, so I sewed on some ribbon around the neck and shoulders, and used the upper half of the bodycon dress (pictured on the left) to make the additional arm piece. I traced the Love is War logo onto a piece of card and made a stencil, then with a fabric pen I drew and coloured the logo onto the sleeve.
~Belts: These belts are so dang temperamental. Many safety pins will be needed. I bought five kids' stretchy snake belts from Amazon, cut the fasteners off, and sewed four of them all together.
~Tie: In my first attempt of the sleeve, I found a turquoise top in a charity shop. However, the top was only a size 8, and barely had enough material to make a half decent sleeve piece, so it was discarded. This top had a belt though, which is now used as a tie. Woop.
The dress on the left was purchased off eBay and was promptly cut in half. As mentioned earlier the top half served as the arm piece and the lower half the skirt. Got to try out a new stitch on the sewing machine as the material was elastic, woop!
~Side belt: I failed on this one. Meh. I painted zigzags onto the last snake belt, but the paint was too diluted so most of the black bled into the turquoise of the belt. The back of the belt looked hideous, so I stuck a piece of turquoise ribbon on it. Still trying to figure out how to attach it to the cosplay - right now the hook end of the fastener is hanging onto the waistband, and a safety pin is holding up the other side... -_-
4. Other bits:
Tights from Asda, shoes I've had a while from eBay. Whoop-dee-doo.
~Gloves: I already had some pale green gloves, so I purchased a pot of Dylon fabric paint and dyed them turquoise. Really pleased with how they came out!
Making this cosplay was a great experience for me - you can probably tell I'm still very amateur, but making things like this is so fun so I hope to improve soon! >:)