|This was my first time following a pattern for real clothes and I was really pleased with the way it turned out.|
I tried using some textured fabric for this costume, having done some research and decided I didn't like the block shiny effect of satin/silk in large amounts.
The chinese underdress and cuffs were made of white and red crepe-backed satin and the overskirt was a similar material with small creases incorporated all over (I forget the name).
The shoulder pieces were christmas ball decorations with a hole cut in the bottom and some unbraided green curtain rope glued in place. They were attached to some last minute paper boxes (it needs something far stronger, but suprisingly they held perfectly for one day). My fantastic friend Jem glued and taped them all together while I panicked my way into costume ^-^
Having not found funky foam yet, the collar clip was made of thin wooden board spray painted.
There was a problem with this dress; I cut the pattern too big as I'd rather be able to take it in than not have enough. I then realised a flaw in my plan when I sewed the overskirt on literally the night before the Con...The overskirt opened at the front...my dress zipped up at the back (fake closings at the front). Result: most untailored dress ever! I had to leave the waist the size of my hips so I could just about slip into it, but the sheer weight of fabric in the overskirt kept the dress pulled taught, so it never looked baggy, just tube-ish thank goodness.