|I've always wanted to redo my three original costumes that I did as a kid; Sailor Moon, Misty and Sakura. With the Retro Cosplay thread on the MinamiCon forums, I felt that this was a perfect time to redo one of these three- and with the ever growing pokemon group, Misty was the choice for me!|
Travelling with Staryu (Posted 19th March 2010)
Since I was taking the train down to MinamiCon, and I was also carrying craploads of other stuff (1 large suitcase, 1 heavy backpack, a skateboard and... A GIANT STAR FISH) I had to find a way to keep Staryu protected and also a way to carry him... somehow... this is what I came up with (a sheet and some strips of black fabric).
...my friends decided to dub him "bondage star"... I.. I don't even... HE'S A STAR FISH, JEEZ.
Staryu Finished! (Posted 19th March 2010)
I hot-glued the gem in (not very securely I might add... it kept on falling out at MinamiCon) and he was done!
Staryu pt. 5 (Posted 30th March 2009)
Next, I gave it quite a few layers of paint. I used a textured spraypaint to give Staryu a starfish-like appearance :D
Staryu pt. 4 (Posted 30th March 2009)
Then, I covered the armoured parts with plaster au paris as well. I quickly popped in the red "gem" for show in this picture, although it wasn't attached at this point.
Staryu pt. 3 (Posted 30th March 2009)
Next, I taped on the "armour" shape on top of the already hardened plaster au paris shell.
Staryu pt. 2 (Posted 30th March 2009)
After taping Staryu together, I covered him in a layer of plaster au paris (aka mod rock) so he would keep his shape before I added on more details.
The red "gem" was a plastic soccer ball that I cut in half and inverted so only the red side would be visible.
Staryu pt. 1 (Posted 30th March 2009)
Lots of people have been asking me how I put together my Staryu, so here's the progress pictures with some explaination!
First of all, using MATH SKILLZ (which I really wasn't ever expecting to use, wtf SOH CAH TOA!) I worked out the exact size that each part of Staryu needed to be to make him height accurate (2'7") and then got to cutting him out and taping him together.